Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Newbie Questions - Roku Channels and Streaming Services on Smartphones

Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm a complete newbie to the Roku concept and was hoping for some help understanding the basics.

I would like to watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and Disney+ on my TV and on my Smartphones. I currently do this by subscribing to each of these four services and then using their apps on the phones and connecting to the services through my Blu-Ray player.

If I move to a Roku instead of Blu-Ray player would I be able to move the subscription into the Roku or would I have to cancel the subscription and instead subscribe to the Roku channels? If I subscribe to the Roku channels do I lose the ability to use these services on my smartphones?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Newbie Questions - Roku Channels and Streaming Services on Smartphones

Jump to solution

No cancelling needed, you would add the apps you subscribe to on the roku, and then just sign in with credentials you used on your blu ray player. There are some services like Hbo and others you can subscribe through the roku ch, which is not the same as roku home page that has all the apps. The Roku Ch is an app on the Roku Home page, they have free movies and tv shows, and subscription services you pay Roku for instead of the individual services themselves.

Edmund

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Jump to solution

No cancelling needed, you would add the apps you subscribe to on the roku, and then just sign in with credentials you used on your blu ray player. There are some services like Hbo and others you can subscribe through the roku ch, which is not the same as roku home page that has all the apps. The Roku Ch is an app on the Roku Home page, they have free movies and tv shows, and subscription services you pay Roku for instead of the individual services themselves.

Edmund

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thank you very much! Would the draw of paying for a subscription channel on Roku (say, Netflix) rather than paying Netflix directly be that the cost per month via Roku is less than directly to Netflix?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Jump to solution

The Major apps like Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu can only be subscribe through those services themselves. Not through Roku, or Youtube Tv, or anyone else. Its services like HBO, Showtime, Acorn, CBS AA, Starz and alike that can be subscribed to through likes of Roku CH, YTTV, and Amazon. So be careful you could be charged by two different services for the same app. Know who you paying before starting a trial with another service.

Roku does not add a fee to a service if subscribed through the Roku Ch, and Roku CH is not the same as the Roku Home page that carries all the apps. The Roku Ch is an app on the Roku Home page just like Netflix or Amazon.

Edmund