Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

New Roku going in circles

Hello - I just purchased a Roku Streaming Stick + . It hooked up fine but keeps going in circles.  Here's what happens:

Roku Serial Number (device ID) : 215041910229
The TV screen :
1. Goes thru "Let's Get Started"...Select Language, "English"
2. Looks for wireless network
3. Enter Wireless Network & Password
4. Makes successful connection - all checkmarks
5. Prompts to update software
6. Fully updates & restarts
7. Screen displays, "ROKU" in white bouncing letters
8. Then a blank purple screen - Nothing dispayed. No link code.
9. Process repeats and goes back to "Let's Get Started". Keeps
repeating.

Thank You.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: New Roku going in circles

If you can, try using your phone as a hotspot and use that for the Wi-Fi connection just to get through the initial setup.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

same thing for my (old never set up) Roku1.  Connects to network fine, does the updates, restarts and I just have a logo, then a blue screen. then it seems to shut off.  Help!!

Highlighted
Level 8

No issues with network needing hotspot--connects fine an does updates and restarts and that's it.  after awhile it goes back to the original "connection" screen.  Done the connection several times.  Same as other user.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@JanetD1 

Thanks for the post.

As @renojim suggested, we would recommend trying to activate and setup your device using an alternate wireless network, such as a hotspot, regardless if you are having connectivity issues or not to see if you can setup your device. Then once the device has been activated and setup, try switching back to your home wireless network.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I tried with mobile hot spot.  Did not work.  I had it shared and it did not find the network..  entered it manually and still no luck.

On my house wireless---selected the network and password--

1)The wireless network has 3 green check boxes

2)says it's checking for updates, goes through % to 100%

3)shuts off, logo comes on, then blue/purple screen

4)then goes back to select your language.  over and over.,

What next?

Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@JanetD1 

Thanks for the update.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number on the Roku device along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I too am having this same problem with a premiere I purchased today.  (Very old Roku stick died today but was connected)I have no issues finding network, but can't get past update.  I've read through all 10 pagea of this thread and tried all sorts of things.

I have cut cable and run off my mobile data (its a lot cheaper by more than half!)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@GMAof3 

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried to activate and setup your device using an alternate wireless network, such as a hotspot, regardless if you are having connectivity issues or not to see if you can setup your device. Then once the device has been activated and setup, try switching back to your home wireless network.

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number on the Roku device. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Im not sure how I'm supposed to activate device using a different network...how do I connect it to a device from a different location when I can't move the TV?  Yes that sounds silly, but I don't understand.  My adult children set up the old Roku, but they now live in other states.

I also don't see an option for private messaging...sorry

0 Kudos