Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PJC1
Level 7

New Roku Ultra - resolution not supported

Just upgraded to Roku Ultra.  Plugged in to older Samsung (non-4K TV).  Message on screen says Resolution Not Supported.  Please change the resolution.

Help please!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: New Roku Ultra - resolution not supported

@PJC1 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us with more information about the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? Can you provide a screenshot of the issue you are seeing?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
PJC1
Level 7

Thanks Danny.  I am trying to use a new Roku Ultra to connect to our Samsung UN26C4000PD TV.

The message I receive on the screen (which means I do not get to the ROKU screen says 

"Mode Not Supported.  The resolution is not supported on this TV.  Please change the resolution."

I have a couple of photos to show you the issue, but am unable to upload them to this thread - please let me know how to send them directly to you.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@PJC1 

Thanks for the post.

You should be able to upload the photos on the thread using the photo button.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
PJC1
Level 7

Thanks - here is the photo of the TV make and model, photo of the error message on the TV and a photo of the Roku Ultra box.  Please help!IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0318.jpgIMG_0319.jpg

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@PJC1 

Thanks for the information.

Have you tried using another HDMI input on the TV to see if you are still experiencing the same issue?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
PJC1
Level 7

Yes - I tried both available HDMI ports and received the same message.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@PJC1 

Thanks for the information.

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried connecting the Roku device to another TV to see if you are experiencing the same issue?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
PJC1
Level 7

Danny,

This issue is still unresolved.  The Roku Ultra did work on an alternative TV - but not the TV we need to use it on.  Do you have a solution for the Samsung TV mentioned in this post?  If not, I will need to return it.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 21

@PJC1 wrote:

Danny,

This issue is still unresolved.  The Roku Ultra did work on an alternative TV - but not the TV we need to use it on.  Do you have a solution for the Samsung TV mentioned in this post?  If not, I will need to return it.

Thanks.

That error message is generated by your tv, not the Roku.  It's telling you the signal being fed to it by the Roku is not one it can handle.

I'd suggest, while connected to the tv on which it works:  Settings > Display type

Set this to the actual resolution of your old Samsung tv, which I expect is 720p, instead of the auto setting.  See if this allows it to work on the old Sammy.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi