Thanks for the information.
Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.
OK, please explain the mobile hotspot theory. My Roku downloads software and installs it... so how can the internet connection be the issue?
Going to re-post my theory, and what worked for me, in case it helps some of the newer posters here.
1) I believe the issue is not related to internet connectivity, but rather is caused by poor WiFi drivers/software on the Roku itself. The update process seems to trigger a bug that caused the “endless reboot.”
2) The success I have found (on multiple Roku devices now), is to ensure your WiFi network is NOT sharing the same SSID for 2G and 5G bands. If your home WiFi network is “MyHomeWifi” for both bands, change at least one broadcast: “MyHomeWifi-2G” for the 2.4ghz network, or “MyHomeWifi-5G” for the 5ghz network. It doesn’t matter which you rename, the Roku can only see the 2.4 network.
3) After making the update on your router, I would recommend factory resetting the Roku FIRST, before attempting the update again.
I have managed to get my Streaming+ stick to connect to my apartment's WiFi but now the follow happens in a loop that I can't escape:
1: 'Let's get started' page where I select 'English'
2: 'Choose your network' where I choose my WiFi
3: It checks for wifi and internet connection and then says that an Update is available, once installed it will restart automatically. And then it begins updating the software, restarts, and the whole thing starts again with no option to do anything else!
Thanks for the post.
We would recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.
I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can finish updating and set up your Roku device. Then once your device has been setup, try switching back to your home wireless network.
Please keep us posted.
I realised that when I connected to my mobile hotspot and Roku had to restart, it was disconnected by the time it started up again, so i changed the hotspot setting on my phone so that it no longer turned off the hotspot if there was no device connected.
Thanks for your help
Same issue that everyone else has apparently had for months. I'm trying to set this up in a college dormitory. Endless update loop. I have no control over the wifi, so I guess I'll take this finicky POS back and buy a box.
DON'T BUY A STREAMING STICK +!
Thanks for the post.
Couple of things to touch on regarding the issue you are experiencing:
1) The Roku device does have the Hotel & Dorm connect feature for easy connection to both of these networks, however in order to use this feature, your Roku device must already be activated. For more information about this feature, visit our Support page here: How do I use Hotel & Dorm Connect to connect to the internet?
2) If you are unable to connect finish updating your Roku device, we would recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can update and finish setting up your device. Then once your device has been setup, try switching to your wireless network, or us the Hotel & Dorm feature mentioned above.
Keep us posted with what you find out.
That would be good information to know up front rather than in the middle of moving into a college dorm.