Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Is the New ROKU Ultra 2019 compatible with SSONY Bravia TV bought in 2007?

I want to buy the ROKU Ultra 2019 but I want to be sure it is compatible with the much older SONY Bravia LCD TV manufactured in 2007. The TV has two HDMI ports. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Is the New ROKU Ultra 2019 compatible with SSONY Bravia TV bought in 2007?

I can't provide an accurate answer without knowing the exact model number of your TV. The only possible reason a Roku would not work on your TV is if it does not support 1080p or 720p. Some early HD TVs only supported SD (480/540i) or 1080i via the HDMI ports. If that is the case for your TV, you will have a hard time finding any current streaming device that supports 1080i. And I can't think of any that would output SD over HDMI. For that you need analog outputs, which only the last generation Roku Express+ has. And no one wants an SD image these days. 

There are HDMI converters that can take 1080p and interlace it to 1080i, but for any quality you'll likely spend as much as you would just buying a modern HD/UHD TV. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

My 2007 Sony Bravia's Model Number is:  KDL-32S3000.  Is there any Roku that will work on it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 14

Looking at the manual here:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/3196/31964721M.pdf

It does appear to have HDMI and supports up to 1080p. It should work with most any current Roku.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

One week after posting the following connection problems with my Sony Bravia KDL-26M4000 and the Roku Ultra LT the connection is now working properly. 

I have a 2008 Sony Bravia KDL-26M4000 and Roku Ultra LT.  I have had the Roku Ultra LT 5 months. These 2 devices do not connect easily. Here are some ways to get the devices to connect.

1. Point the Roku remote away from the TV so that the TV is not turned on. Press the top button on the Roku remote to turn the device on.  Now press the "HOME" button 5 times and watch the light on the Roku device blink 5 times. Then press the "UP" button once. Then press the "REVERSE" button twice and the "FORWARD" button twice. Wait 10 seconds and then manually press the TV power on button.  The Roku home screen should appear shortly.

2. If after doing the first procedure ROKU letters appear bouncing on the screen, quickly press the top button on the remote to shut down. Wait 10 seconds and press the top button on the remote to restart. The Roku home screen should appear.

3. Another way is to have both the Roku and TV on. Each device has an 'on' light that should be lit. Then unplug the HDMI cable from either device. Wait 10 seconds and plug back in. The Roku home screen should appear.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@bjim01 wrote:

I have a 2008 Sony Bravia KDL-26M4000 and Roku Ultra LT.  I have had the Roku Ultra LT 5 months. These 2 devices do not connect easily. Here are some ways to get the devices to connect.

1. Point the Roku remote away from the TV so that the TV is not turned on. Press the top button on the Roku remote to turn the device on.  Now press the "HOME" button 5 times and watch the light on the Roku device blink 5 times. Then press the "UP" button once. Then press the "REVERSE" button twice and the "FORWARD" button twice. Wait 10 seconds and then manually press the TV power on button.  The Roku home screen should appear shortly.

2. If after doing the first procedure ROKU letters appear bouncing on the screen, quickly press the top button on the remote to shut down. Wait 10 seconds and press the top button on the remote to restart. The Roku home screen should appear.

3. Another way is to have both the Roku and TV on. Each device has an 'on' light that should be lit. Then unplug the HDMI cable from either device. Wait 10 seconds and plug back in. The Roku home screen should appear.

To the best of my knowledge, the ON button on the Roku remote is not turning the Roku itself on/off. It is solely used to control the TV (if you've set the remote up for TV control). The Roku is always on, but does switch to a low power mode when not in use. But hitting any button on the Roku remote will wake it up. You should only see the bouncing Roku logo when the device is first powered up. Do you have the Roku connected to a switched outlet, that is controlled by the TV power?

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

No

0 Kudos