Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Bypassing Roku to get cable shows

Jump to solution

I have not cut my cable.  Basically I believe this would be turning Roku off or bypassing Roku while I watch my shows on regular cable. How can I watch local shows on my cable if I have Roku?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Bypassing Roku to get cable shows

Jump to solution

Your Tv multiple inputs? You use the tv remote to switch from the roku input to cable input. Just like you might switch from dvd player input to cable input. They're all sources of entertainment that comes together via the tv. If your tv only has one hdmi input you might look into getting hdmi switcher. Or hook your cable box to ch 3 or 4, look for coax out on the cable box and hook it up to coax input on the tv. 

Edmund

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution

If you  have roku console or stick you can't, not through the roku. If its a Roku tv, there are hdmi inputs for the cable box and coax input for your cable.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have Roku Express, the console.  So Roku basically takes over my TV & I would have to unplug it to watch cable?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution

Your Tv multiple inputs? You use the tv remote to switch from the roku input to cable input. Just like you might switch from dvd player input to cable input. They're all sources of entertainment that comes together via the tv. If your tv only has one hdmi input you might look into getting hdmi switcher. Or hook your cable box to ch 3 or 4, look for coax out on the cable box and hook it up to coax input on the tv. 

Edmund

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15

Jump to solution

Find the Source or Input button on your TV remote and keep pressing it until your cable box shows up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I called my local cable company.  They said I can indeed have both local cable and Roku, that you plug them into different HDMI places and use the remote to switch back & forth between the portals.

0 Kudos