Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
obsolescence
Reel Rookie

older Roku doesn't work - no apple tv channel found and paramount won't log in - is this normal ?

Older device. Successfully updated yesterday to software version 9.1.0, build 5009

Channel search reveals no apple tv channel 

Even paramount consistently gives error and can't even sign on 

planned obsolescence??

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: older Roku doesn't work - no apple tv channel found and paramount won't log in - is this normal

Since you haven't mentioned what model your "older Roku" is, I can only speak in generalities.

9.1 hasn't been the current Roku version since 9.2 was released in September 2019.  The most recent models that can't support Roku versions beyond 9.1 were released in October of 2012, ten years ago.

New features and capabilites have been added to newer models since then and the Roku operating software keeps getting updated to support them.

How many past Roku software versions and older Roku models to support is up to the channel developers themselves.  As they develop the Roku-compatible versions of their channel apps, they have to retain and maintain extra code to support older models.  This complicates their channel apps, adds many more combinations that must be beta tested, and increases their overall product support burden.  Some developers are more tolerant of these complications, but many choose to support only newer devices.

Apple, for instance, lists the Roku models they support on https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-app/devices/. Not all channels are that open about which models they support.

You may choose to label this as "planned obsolescence".  I preferably to call it progress.  The alternative is to stop product development and that's not going to happen.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: older Roku doesn't work - no apple tv channel found and paramount won't log in - is this normal

My current personal computer has 1 MILLION times as much RAM as my 1976 personal computer.  It really is amazing how technology keeps going.

0 Kudos
obsolescence
Reel Rookie

Thanks for your response 

My roku is the Roku Streaming Stick (3400 series)

Bought a "roku JVC TV" several years ago and haven't used it much 

I was obviously upset that the roku device has become so dated so quickly, unable even to load some channels with others not functioning properly 

Doesn't seem right !

0 Kudos
renojim

The 3400 came out 10 years ago, so it's ancient by electronics standards.  It was also "weird" in that it was the only MHL Roku device and support for it was discontinued years ago.  MHL never took off and you'd have a hard time finding any new TV that supports it.  It should really go on a shelf next to your other obsolete electronic devices like your first cell phone or PDA. Smiley Happy

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy

@obsolescence wrote:

Thanks for your response 

My roku is the Roku Streaming Stick (3400 series)

I was obviously upset that the roku device has become so dated so quickly, unable even to load some channels with others not functioning properly 

"Dated so quickly?"  Time flies.

Roku 3400 is a second generation Roku model.  The current line is made up of ninth and tenth generation models.   The 3400 was released ten years ago in October 2012.  Roku declared it a legacy model incapable of receiving further Roku updates beyond Roku 9.1 with the release of Roku 9.2 in September 2019,  seven years after the 3400 product release.  It sounds to me like it had a pretty good run by modern electronic device standards. 

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos