Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
t1
Channel Surfer

atmos scam accelerating, roku generating fake atmos on new ultra

I have had rokus on all tvs in house for a long time. I just added  a onyko 7.1.2/5.1.4 system with the intent for both movies and music. Several things to point out. Both Amazon and Apple atmos and spaial music are 2 ch generated for head phones only, period. I am on fence concerning tidal atmos music to how legit it is. Time will tell. I decided to try the latest roku ultra generation to see if if would help me unwind all this. Turns out roku has joined the atmos scam. Every thing on new ultra is put out as atmos weather it is or not. I am watching "the rifleman" in black and white on my ota antenna thru roku/tablo and my AVR is receiving an dolby true HD atmos signal from my new roku where the old one passed 2 ch. Roku, you had best contact me and tell me how you are going to undo this. It's about time the whole world understands this atmos scam. I see you are going to fake atmos and hope no one notices.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: atmos scam accelerating, roku generating fake atmos on new ultra

Until you find the fix, a quick workaround might be to hit the * button and choose leveling or night volume mode, which will deliver PCM audio. Turn the volume mode off to restore DD streams.

I can't receive OTA, so no Tablo. The Rifleman is on dozens of streaming Roku channels; are they PCM or not?

0 Kudos
t1
Channel Surfer

Re: atmos scam accelerating, roku generating fake atmos on new ultra

The new ultra has a bypass mode(the old did not) which I did not realize.  If you put in bypass it will pass audio untouched and you can see what the format really is. You sort of missed the point.

If you are tring to decide what format(If you have real atmos) is realy coming your way, you can not with default settings, atmos will be generated one way or other. Every thing will be converted to atmos and it will difficult to unwind what is going on. Believe that is the desire, they want everyone thinking they have atmos whether they do or not. You will play the Amazon prime top gun(neutered to 5.1) and think you have atmos. Not having trouble with atmos on hbomax. It is the deception that pisses me off. I have been roku centric for a long time. Have them on all tvs in house.

My interest is in atmos music, apple and Amazon are really glorified stereo for headphones. If you have a say 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 system, makes sure you have test files to play and demonstrate real atmos. If you need help and think this blog is followed, I can post source.

On the fence yet about tidal. They got other problems with mqa going bankrupt.

Started using onyko 7100 reciently. Tring to decide if their is enough affordable atmos music to justify upgrading speakers to really take advantage and refine.

Hope this helps, the "Rifleman" example was to show how ridiculous the deception turns out. They are tring to convert a basicly(for the most part) a stereo world to faked atmos. Folkes should understand. I would like to hear a good atmos speaker test for comparison on some of these atmos up pointing sound bars.

Monitoring temperature on new roku. Caught my attention, no conclusion yet. May have to run them side by side to see.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.