Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hanmegh
Reel Rookie

Youtube app audio is skipping and choppy with Private Listening

I use the Roku remote app’s private listening feature to connect my headphones to my roku tv through bluetooth. Recently, the Youtube app audio will not play correctly when I am listening through my headphones. It makes it sound chopped up and sporadic. 

Here is what I’ve already done to try to fix this:

• I turned off and on the private listening feature from my app

• I closed the roku app completely and reopened it

• I disconnected my headphones’ bluetooth to my phone

• I turned the power off on my headphones and then back on and reconnected

• I restarted my tv

• I checked to see if my tv needed a software update. It is up to date

• I tested the audio of different apps through my headphones. They all work perfectly. So far it is only the Youtube app that has this issue.

• I checked to see if the Youtube app needed updating. It is the current version. 

• I uninstalled the Youtube app from my tv and reinstalled it. No change.

• I played the youtube app audio through my tv instead of my headphones through private listening and it sounds fine.

At first I assumed this was an issue with my headphones but they play everything except the Youtube app perfectly normally.

84 REPLIES 84
CatchySaucer
Reel Rookie

Re: Youtube app audio is skipping and choppy with Private Listening

I’ve got the same issue if you find a fix please share I’ll come back here if I find one as well.

CatchySaucer
Reel Rookie

You’re not gonna believe this but 2 seconds later I opened the settings on a video on YouTube and didn’t change anything and it instantly fixed it.

0 Kudos
hanmegh
Reel Rookie

Omg you’re kidding!! Well I’m glad yours is fixed at least! I tried the same thing and it didn’t change for me 😕

CatchySaucer
Reel Rookie

Maybe try disconnecting and reconnecting private listening while in the settings because mine messed up again whenever an ad happened and that fixed it again. If not I hope that you find a solution this is frustrating to deal with.

Same issue here as of a few days ago. I’ve tried everything and Bluetooth speaker is still choppy on YouTube. Even after all kinds of resets. Bluetooth works fine on everything else. The only thing that seems to work is when watching a video on YouTube, reporting poor quality or audio not working via the Feedback option on YouTube videos while I’m watching them. Sometimes, after reporting “poor audio” or “no audio” the choppiness goes away until the next video, and then I have to repeat the whole process again. Ive been doing this on every single video I’ve watched for a few days already. 

JSongne

I had the same issue. After messing around with settings in the Roku app it seems to “fix” it. Go to the Roku app settings(the little cog wheel on the remote for the device) while you’re connected and playing a video in YouTube. Select audio delay and then select manual adjust put it at the max then put it to 0 ms. Go back to the first screen with the toggle for private listening and turn it off and on. It seemed to work for me. Maybe it will work for you also. Good luck, this is annoying. 

Same thing here, tried via multiple device. Through my ipod with bluetooth earbud, crackling sound. Through my android phone no earbud (phone sound), crackling sound. Directly on TV, sounds fine. Fixes itself for a little bit by pausing, but comes back shortly after. Seems not every video on youtube are affected (bitrate maybe?)

I saw someone mentioned ads as a possible cause, but I have youtube premium, so no ads here (the amount of youtube ads on roku was just stupid)

0 Kudos
BoomersKnow
Reel Rookie

Same issues and experience here. One thing no one else has mentioned specifically, so I figured I would. When I use wired headphones plugged directly into the 3.5mm jack, the sound is fine. This makes me think that this can't be a network issue. It's just a weird and very specific combination of the Roku app, private listening, and using Bluetooth headphones, but only with YouTube.

Bccdoug
Reel Rookie

Same issue for me.  Everything was fine until a week ago.  Using the Roku app on iPhone.   Prime, Netflix, Disney, HBO and other channels all work fine.   Only Youtube is effected.