Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unwanted cruft on the Home screen

To date, you've always given your savvy customers a way to opt out.  Looks like you've now decided to see how many customers it will cost you if you just shove it down our throats instead.

This is why I've never bought a Roku TV... simply so I wouldn't feel too bad about the cost when I inevitably had to throw the Roku box in the trash when the day finally came that corporate greed exceeded business sense and respect for the customer.

Looks like that day may have now arrived. I imagine that the only thing complaining here will do is help Roku's suits assess how much betraying their customer base is likely to cost and whether they can afford it now or should wait a little bit longer till the betrayal is more cost effective. And, no, I don't need some fatuous AI or auto-generated generic response promising to 'elevate my concerns', 'John'.

Roku might do well to remember that they only exist because people were looking for a workaround to arrogant and intransigent media titans. Fortunately, mini-PCs, which can run everything I might care about on Roku, and then some, have come down to be as small and portable as a Roku box, and even less money than I paid for the last Roku device I bought. So, now I've just pressed one button on my HDMI switcher and excised Roku from my environment. Be prepared for a lot more people to follow, Roku geniuses.

You may make a little more money in the short term, but not from me, and I suspect you'll be surprised to find how quickly a company can go downhill to irrelevancy from mistreating their users, especially when their products solve only yesterday's problems.

Labels (1)
2 REPLIES 2
dmitch77
Channel Surfer

Re: Unwanted cruft on the Home screen

Yeah, this was my reaction too when I saw the new Home Screen. For years, Roku had the best UI of any streaming platform, largely because it was limited to exactly what you (the user) needed. No more...I turned on my TV the other day and could not believe how **bleep** the Roku screen was. There are no options to remove the huge pile of stuff I don't need. There were more new/unwanted tiles than the number of channels I actually use. Alas. I suppose I was inevitable that it would come to this eventually.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Unwanted cruft on the Home screen

FWIW - Roku has said that in a future update all these new (and to most of us unwelcome) additions to the home page will be made optional.   When, and if, that will ever happen is anybody's guess.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos