Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scjr
Channel Surfer

Roku Express Power Light?

Jump to solution

Hi folks,

I have a Roku Express 4K + and all seems to be well, but I do have a question about the power light.

Before I power down the Roku, I always go to Menu first. At this time it powers everything down, including the TV. About 20-30 minutes later the power light on the Roku appears again. It doesn’t turn on the TV. Just the light comes on. Is this normal behavior? Auto Power Savings and Bandwidth Saver are both set to ON.

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express Power Light?

Jump to solution

The power saving feature is a relatively new addition (within the last year, I believe).  My testing on my Ultra (4800) showed it maybe saved a Watt to 1.5 Watts.  Hardly worth the trouble it causes for some.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
renojim

Jump to solution

It's not how it's supposed to work, but keep in mind that Roku devices never power off - at most they go into a power saving mode.  The power button on the remote is strictly for the TV.  The light should go off whenever the screensaver activates or it goes into power saving.  As long as it's not turning on the TV, it's probably not worth worrying about.  If the light bothers you, the often recommended fix is to cover it with a piece of electrical tape. 😁

I should add that should you press the power button on the remote and the TV comes on, but the Roku appears not to, it's probably in power saving mode.  Press Home on your remote a couple of times to wake it.

scjr
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi renojim

Thank you for all the detailed information. I really appreciate it. 👍🏼

I did try something. I set Auto Power Savings to OFF and the light never came back on. Is that setting critical to any other functions? Is it ok to have that off?

Bandwidth saver is still ON.

All the best.

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

The power saving feature is a relatively new addition (within the last year, I believe).  My testing on my Ultra (4800) showed it maybe saved a Watt to 1.5 Watts.  Hardly worth the trouble it causes for some.

scjr
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Awesome! Thank you so much and this issue has been resolved. Appreciate it!

0 Kudos
scjr
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Just to add.

I reset the Roku. The power light goes off now, with Auto Power Savings selected.

0 Kudos