Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gregger77
Streaming Star

Roku Express 4K+ Won't Connect via Belker Ethernet Adapter

Jump to solution

I have a 3941R box which I have connected according to Roku's instructions to one of the 4 recommended ethernet adapters, in this case the Belker, which operates 10/100 Mbps. The “Wired Connection” option appeared on the Roku Network Connection setup, but then it failed to find the connection.

I have done every normal troubleshooting step: Made sure the router, the port and the cable all worked with other devices. I tried of course doing Roku resets; clearing all network settings; changing the order of powering up and connecting, etc etc etc.

Any advice appreciated. Various Amazon reviewers have confirmed, this Belker unit has been able to work with Roku Express 4K+, but it’s not working for me.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gregger77
Streaming Star

Re: Roku Express 4K+ Won't Connect via Belker Ethernet Adapter

Jump to solution

Ah, my dumb mistake. You're correct, there is no router between the modem and the switch. That's "why the switch isn't working connected to the router" as you point out. The Roku does work fine connected directly to the modem, but unfortunately the modem does not include a router and has but 1 WAN port. 

Thanks for helping me see the omission!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Do you get any error message or code?  Assuming you have Wi-Fi, does it connect to that without any error messages/codes?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
gregger77
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Yes, code 13.50 along with the accompanying message, unable to connect to ethernet.

The unit is able to connect via Wifi, but I am seeking to get wired for various reasons.

Still trying to figure this out! Thanks.

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

Naturally that code doesn't show up here, not that the page is all that useful since Roku makes no attempt to give any specifics about the error codes.  013 falls under the category of "Ethernet cable related issues", so you might want to try another one.  Are you connecting directly to your router or is there something else between the adapter and the router?

0 Kudos
gregger77
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I'm connecting via a 4-port switch, which is working fine and supports other devices with no issue. I've done all the "obvious" troubleshooting to be sure the port is "live" and to be sure I'm using a "known good" ethernet cable, used a different port, blah blah blah. Have powered on/off and made connections in various sequences, all to no avail. Also have taken the switch out of the picture and connected the ethernet adaptor directly to the Motorola Surfboard's ethernet out. No dice.

I wonder if a Factory Reset on the Roku would help.

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

It sounds like you've tried everything I would have tried myself.  I think a factory reset is about all you can do short of exchanging the Belker adapter for another one.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is how you're powering everything.  You've probably thought of it, but just in case, if you're using the TV's USB port try using a USB power adapter/charger that's sufficient to power the Express and the Ethernet adapter.

rsattler

Jump to solution

The power adapter is def something I would look at as well. I am using a Roku Express 4K+ with this device and it works fine on my setup - I am using the power adapter that came with the Roku, not the USB port on the TV (my tv's USB does NOT provide the proper juice for this setup, hence the power adapter). I had no issues (altho I do wish that Belker put an LED showing either power or ethernet activity which would help in troubleshooting).

Try another power adapter of similar voltage output if you are using the one that came with the Roku. Short of that, maybe you have a defective Belker unit and can try another.

Good Luck!

0 Kudos
gregger77
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Good thought, thanks. At first, I used the Roku's own USB power adapter, connected directly to household AC. Then, having read in the Roku channel on Reddit that a 1A charger may not be enough to "sufficiently" power both the ethernet adapter and the Roku, I also tried a 2A adapter. No dice. 

0 Kudos
gregger77
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

renojlm, I agree. See my reply to rsattler. And I've already ordered an alternate ethernet adapter. It's remarkable, of Roku's five "recommended" ethernet adapters for the Express 4K, a few of their sellers on Amazon explicitly say in their listings they do NOT work for Roku devices. Yet according to an occasional reviewer, some of these HAVE been known to work. And vice versa, of course. So the whole thing is a mess. I'm sure it doesn't help that the adapters are made to sell for $12-15 on Amazon so probably have very unreliable supply chains and use all kinds of chipsets. 

0 Kudos
gregger77
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

An update. I tried another of the 'approved' (Cable Matters) ethernet adapters. It worked for a few hours one evening, but then has not worked since the following morning. So...2 'approved' adapters work little or not at all. I think we can conclude  1) Something is seriously wrong in the handshake between Comcast ethernet and Roku  or  2) The Roku's ethernet capability is broken.   I'm stumped. Not sure what to do next. I'm just past 1 year on the new Express 4K+ so I assume I'm screwed on warranty replacement.

0 Kudos