Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JCGoodwin
Roku Guru

Re: Remove "Categories" and "Browse" from Home Screen

Jump to solution

I'm not certain that our feedback prompted the change, which could have been planned all along. However, if we did play a factor, then it was wonderful of Roku to listen to us. Keep in mind that this is the supposed biggest streaming platform in the US, so we're not talking about a small company.

I've tried sending reasonable requests to Frndly TV and Tennis Channel -- the latter of which has a horrible app now -- and I haven't seen any sign of change. So, again, if Roku actually responded to users, then that's remarkable.

0 Kudos
yann-gael
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

About 3h ago, I still didn't have the option to hide the "recommendation row", but now I have! Yet the software seems to be the same.

Could others share the date of the latest software update and the version of the OS? According to my TV, its last update was on 10/23/23 and its version is 12.5.0 Build 4176...

This could mean that Roku can control at distance certain aspects of the OS without the need for a software update... or that the TV doesn't report the right info. 😉

0 Kudos
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@yann-gael This change wasn’t tied to an OS update.  

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.
0 Kudos
rrggrr
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@RokuAustin The addition of the option to remove the recommended rows is much appreciated. In the future, it'd be great if Roku added such a removal option AT THE SAME TIME as adding whatever 'feature' is being added to the home rows. This would prevent a lot of grief. Thanks.

yann-gael
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

HI @RokuAustin and thank you for your answer.

Your answer is interesting: because the change wasn't tied to an OS update, it means that the capability to hide the "recommendation rows" was there all along in the OS (maybe for a long time), just disabled, and that it was remotely enabled by Roku using a mechanism different to an OS update.

I'd be curious to know what that mechanism is and how many other features are present but currently disabled... of course, I don't expect a detailed answer here although I'd welcome one 🙂

Happy holidays!
Yann

0 Kudos
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@yann-gael wrote:

HI @RokuAustin and thank you for your answer.

Your answer is interesting: because the change wasn't tied to an OS update, it means that the capability to hide the "recommendation rows" was there all along in the OS (maybe for a long time), just disabled, and that it was remotely enabled by Roku using a mechanism different to an OS update.

I'd be curious to know what that mechanism is and how many other features are present but currently disabled... of course, I don't expect a detailed answer here although I'd welcome one 🙂

Happy holidays!
Yann

We can't share all of those backend details, but the ability to disable wasn't available at launch. But, now it is. Happy Streaming!

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.
rejandvlj
Reel Rookie

Re: How to Remove "Categories" and "Browse" from Home Screen

Jump to solution

WHERE? I cannot find such options in my settings? HELP?

0 Kudos
rejandvlj
Reel Rookie

Re: How to Remove "Categories" and "Browse" from Home Screen

Jump to solution

Found one of them in the settings, under 'recommendations row', I thought that might eliminate the 'what to watch' row called 'recommendations' - which would be LOGICAL - but it got rid of the **bleep** row in the home area. However, the row in the 'what to watch' area - browse - still has **bleep** I'll never use. Also need a way to get rid of 'what to watch' categories I'll never use (a lot of scrolling through junk I don't need - such as the rows: 'New Trailers', 'Reality TV',  "your Favorite Stars - like, NOT, haven't heard of most of them! - 'Featured Apps', 'Gaming', etc, LET US SCROLL THROUGH ONLY WHAT WE WANT?!)

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thank you!!! It’s so rare for a company to listen and make changes. This update is very much appreciated!

DisastifiedAL
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

How do I revert, I just got OS 12.5.0 Build 4176-30
and it is UGGGGLLLYYY!

The input boxes on home page was perfect, Now I got "Browse", "categories" and I absolutely hate it, I go from a TV I love to one of disgust for these forced changes.

Please for all that is good and for my sanity I beg you let me go back to my last build.