Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kenbru

Re: Remove "Categories" and "Browse" from Home Screen

Jump to solution

This update affects my elderly mother. I need a no clutter screen for her. I am ready to move away from Roku. Are there any lawyers out there? Let's start a class action suit to get a refund on all of our Roku streaming devices.

nun
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

what do you mean, there is no ability to remove this? And Seriously, You really need a photo of what your company added during the last update?  Don't you work there??? What fresh **bleep** have you bestowed upon us with this update??? I paid for the TV, it came with your software.  It's in my living room, I have added icons for the channels I pay for, that I wish to see on my homescreen, in MY HOME.  I am forced to endure your advertising daily, which, clearly, ROKU is paid for.  Why on earth would you FORCE your users to have their home screens muddied with whatever ROKU deems we have to see??????  You are paid for advertising, we paid for the device.  If you don't want to appease your customers, maybe you're in the wrong business!   PLEASE fix this so we can remove your idiotic options.   "STAY IN YOUR LANE" !! 

rawlsrules
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Exactly.

Maliska
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

It doesn't take long to call their tech support and you can just choose the option to have them call you back if everybody does it once a day every day until this is gone it will end up costing them money

Wanderglobe
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The software version I have is 12.5.0 build 4176. The Categories and Browse bloat was there for a few days because I was as livid as everyone else that Roku continues to generate revenue off of me after our business relationship ended. They made it. I bought it. It's mine now. 

I'm not sure if pi-hole updated as it just runs in the background. I did mess around with the ad server secret menu but there were no options to change. 

I have powered off the TV since but I have not done a full system restart. I don't want to because this invasion of my property will probably come back. Wish I could be more help and I hope Roku fixes this soon. 

Zonexero
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

In most cases I have seen, if customers/users have an issue with a bad decision and the response is clear, they usually reverse it going into a weekend, let's all hope, one more day to go at this point!  It is very obvious at this point when you see over 200+++ or more complaints (there are other threads with same issue as well as other sites like reddit posting the same complains), that this was a very poor business and customer retention decision which needs to be corrected sooner than later when it's too late.  

What Roku customers want:

A clean, simple to use interface, that is #1.

Options, either #1 Remove It!  or # 2 Offer a option to 'hide' it or 'turn it off'.

ReasonSeason
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Created this account just to complain about this feature. I really like having a clean interface. Every few months it seems there’s something new I have to hide…..but I can’t hide this one. I haven’t looked at other streaming boxes because I’ve been happy with Roku. Time to look at other options. 

yann-gael
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks @Wanderglobe !

That's interesting: I also have version 12.5.0 Build 4176, last updated on 10/23/23. 
But I have the three extra, useless rows 😕

I don't think that the Pi-Hole plays a role here, because these rows are most likely (hard)coded in the software, not dependent on data from external domains.

Mystery!

Zonexero
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

It was a blatant and intentional, keep in mind some changes, do not always show right away with the 'updated' software version or build, it could have been coded in earlier, they just did not implement or launch these ludicrous extra sections right away, which shows to me it can easily be removed. So... what is the delay fixing an issue that never should have ever happened to begin with, you have the response!  Roku, please stop using your core customers as lab rats! 

bdrums
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

... Exact same reason I searched for a place to leave feedback. The "browse" and "categories" bars are just screen clutter, in my way, and of zero interest to me!

They need to give us the option to remove those, just like the other optional home screen functions / buttons we can remove.