Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Freeluck
Reel Rookie

Re: Remove "Categories" and "Browse" from Home Screen

Jump to solution

I wasted quite a bit of time trying to get rid of these features.  I also have a samsung smart tv, google tv and firestick.  I have been watching mostly Roku because i like the simplicity of the interface.  If they continue to improve the Roku I will switch to google tv.  And i never liked the app buttons at the bottom of the remote.  The only time i use them is by accident.

TALEE

Jump to solution

Have to register to file against this ridiculous. Roku won't get a cent from me until they fix this.

rawlsrules
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

And I'm always surprised when I hit one of them.

You'd think they would know a good thing instead of screwing it up.

0 Kudos
yann-gael
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

After a bit more research, here are the settings that work for me and allow using the YouTube app:

1. roku.com in Regex blacklist (to forbid anything from roku.com)
  2. image.roku.com in Exact whitelist (to allow the TV to check its Internet connection)
  3. api.rokutime.com in Exact whitelist (to allow the YouTube app)
  4. longview.sw.roku.com and api.roku.com in Exact whitelist (to allow software updates)
  5. community.roku.com (to allow this Web site ;-))

Eventually, if a software update fixes the Home Screen and I'm happy with that version, I'll delete 4. to prevent future software updates.

Again, I don't make any claim, I haven't tested this thoroughly and your mileage may vary (depending also on the apps that you use)...

NYGuy231
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Broh if I wanted more garbage on my home screen, I would use a firestick again. Remove this garbage immediately. 

NYGuy231
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

PS: The only reason I use Roku devices is because I like to have my home screen clean, but now they starting to make it more like all the others. So what's the point of having a Roku if you get the same garbage as every other device.

SherryBfine
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Now see more Junk !   Now show Live-TV (even though is marked as hidden), along with the other items added - Anybody else seeing Live-TV?

siamhie
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

In a perfect world, my ideal home screen would look like this.

On the Left side
Home
Search (move the Streaming Store back into here where it was originally)
Settings

In the Middle
Only the channels I've added

On the Right side
No Advertisement banners (I have never once selected any of those in 11 years of ownership)

Zonexero
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

My 'Live TV' is an input source that has my antenna channels and streaming, that's all I need.

I know there is another Live TV thing on the side list which I have hidden, since it redundant and I only need one icon for my live tv, so you are saying they added something else in the main grid area?  -In addition to the two sections added we all want removed or be able to hide. 

SherryBfine
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes, am looking at my Roku Screen right now, and have a new icon called Live-TV (even though my settings say HIDE for Live-TV) - That is what I am describing - UPDATE - Was an App - Just got rid of it by doing Remove (maybe kids put it there by mistake) - Sorry about the False Alarm - Just do not know how it got there in the first place ?