Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cl21

Moving to Europe from the US

I currently live in the US and have a Roku device. Will this device work in Portugal or will I need to exchange for a European device? I understand that not all of the channels will be available. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Moving to Europe from the US

You'll need to set up a new Roku account when you reach Portugal.  Before you leave the US cancel any premium subscriptions you have through Roku, as you won't be able to access them on your new account and you don't want to keep paying for them.

Don't forget to take your Roku remote.  You won't be able to set up without it and it may be difficult to find a replacement remote there.

When you get to Portugal and get established with a local internet provider, also establish a Portugal based email account. 

Now hook your Roku up to the tv and do a Factory reset on the Roku. (With it plugged into the power source, push the Roku reset button for a minimum of 30 seconds no matter what you see on the screen.). When the Roku boots up its memory will be cleared and you'll have to set it up as if it were a brand new unit.  In this process, create a new Roku account with your Portuguese email address.  When completed you'll be linked to your new Portuguese account and will be able to get whatever channels are available there.

If you have paid subscriptions taken out directly with the channel supplier you should still be able to add and use them there,  provided they operate in the Portuguese market.  Just log into them with the same credentials you used in the States (i.e. your US email and password for each service.).  If they are not available in Portugal you can log into their websites and cancel your subscriptions to them.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos