Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bengilg
Reel Rookie

Menu Items on main screen turning themselves on

What can I do to make Roku stop constantly trying to suggest content and Ads to me? Every week to 2 weeks I have to go back into my settings and hide menu items I already have hidden. 

If I can’t turn this off, why does Roku hate the consumer so much? They have to push products that hard that they have to push past my protections I’ve set up? 

If I had to guess, this is probably a strictly American problem since other countries usually protect from this behavior, but I wanted to see if anyone else has this issue. 

#Help #Why #TooManyAds 

5 REPLIES 5
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Menu Items on main screen turning themselves on

It seems like every time my devices update (or possibly even check for an update) I'm getting things back that I've hidden multiple times.  Whether it's a bug, intentional, or just more incompetence from Roku I couldn't say, but it's very annoying.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Bengilg
Reel Rookie

Yes exactly this!! On one hand, it me feel better that I’m not alone, but on the other, like you said it’s so annoying to deal with. 

Thank you for the reply!

ThisishT
Streaming Star

I agree this is very annoying. I chose to Hide the - Layout - "Recommendation rows" option that includes items such as "On Now" which in my opinion is the same as the "Live TV" option - Browse "ALL THINGS HOME - ALL THINGS FOOD - SPORTS" etc. The "ALL THINGS FOOD" that is already associated with "Recommendation rows" (that I choice to hide) has been automatically included as a Home Screen - Menu items - Show/Hide option and the "ALL THINGS FOOD" cannot be removed from my Menu items list. Roku continues to modify the system as they chose.

andyross
Roku Guru

I haven't had the recommendation rows turn itself back on, even after one Roku updated to OS13.00.

0 Kudos
ThisishT
Streaming Star

To make myself clearer why did Roku decide to include the "ALL THINGS FOOD" Show/Hide as a "Menu items" Show/Hide choice of option that is already associated with the "Layout - Recommendation rows" (chose the Hide option) and listed under the settings > "Home screen - Menu items" and then listed as a Menu items Show/Hide option that cannot be removed from the Menu items list. I have already chosen to Hide "Recommendation rows" that includes "Browse - ALL THINGS HOME - ALL THINGS FOOD - SPORTS" however Roku made the decision to include the "ALL THINGS FOOD" as a Home screen Menu items Show/Hide option. Roku can obviously modify the system as they chose and when they chose. On a side note, I have been patiently waiting for Roku to bring back the 3X3 or 4X4 app tile grid size choice of option, but I fear that Roku has made the decision to not include the 4X4 app tile grid size as a user choice of option. 

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.