Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KenSRQ
Binge Watcher

Express 4k+ not discovered by Alexa Roku skill

I cannot get the Roku skill on Alexa to discover/recognize any of my three Express 4k+ devices. Numerous times, I have enabled the skill on Alexa, signed into my Roku account, linked to my Amazon account, and continued to allow discovery of my Roku devices. The Alexa app shows a screen telling me: "Alexa is looking for devices to connetect..." and after a while it reports "No new devices found." 

I check to make sure the Roku was not previously found, but it does not appear in the device list in the Alexa app. I have ensured that the Rokus are connected to the same network as the Alexa devices. The software on all devices is up to date. I have gone through this process many times, with the same result.

Any suggestions on how to get my Rokus recognized by the Roku skill on Alexa?

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Express 4k+ not discovered by Alexa Roku skill

Check your wireless router for an option like device isolation or client isolation on the SSID you're using. If Alexa and Roku are on different SSID's (I'm guessing they aren't) then something like network isolation or AP isolation would prevent them from seeing one another. Just being on a guest network might prevent it by default.

0 Kudos
KenSRQ
Binge Watcher

@Anonymous Would it matter if one is on 5GHz and the other is on 2.4GHz? I can't tell which of those either is on.

0 Kudos
KenSRQ
Binge Watcher

FWIW, I figured out how to check, and both Alexa and Roku ate on 5MHz

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

It doesn't make a difference if AP or Network Isolation is off. It might if it's on. 

It definitely won't work if Client or Device Isolation is on.

Router manufacturers can call these options whatever they like, so look around.

Guest networks typically prevent clients from seeing one another, and you may or may not be able to disable that. It's up to the manufacturer.

Some people complain when they try to use their smartphone app as a remote control and it can't find the Roku. You could try the app, and if it works to control the Roku, this isn't your problem.

0 Kudos
KenSRQ
Binge Watcher

@Anonymous My Roku Remote app works on my Android device.

I'm def not on guest network.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me, using "The Roku App (Official)" from the play store, the remote can't find the Roku on the same SSID when isolation is enabled. When I turn that off and try again, the app sees it, connects to it, and works fine. I turn isolation back on, close and reopen the app, and it can't connect to the Roku.

If your Alexa device is connected to the same SSID as your phone, then this isolation feature is NOT your problem.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Would it matter if one is on 5GHz and the other is on 2.4GHz? I can't tell which of those either is on."

My recollection is Alexa is 2.4 GHz only. Looks like you have a dual-band Roku. You could disable your 5 GHz radio to keep them both on the 2.4 to check that.

I'm assuming you have same SSID using both radios, NOT something like SSID and SSID-5GHz.

0 Kudos
KenSRQ
Binge Watcher

@Anonymous I disabled 2.4 and tried. Didn't work.

0 Kudos
KenSRQ
Binge Watcher

@Anonymous CORRECTION: I disabled 5.

0 Kudos