Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
labelmom

Re: Discontinuing Roku Streaming Stick updates???????

Jump to solution

I have purchased many Roku products over the years for many television sets and recommended it to many people. I did not know that Roku would discontinue support for these products after a few years.... This is a shady business practice that will change my future purchases.... If they are going to discontinue support for a product, they need to offer a replacement. Otherwise, this will damage their company and reputation

0 Kudos
HB77

roku smart TV getting updates???

Jump to solution

I am getting emails about my old roku device being too old to get updates.   I changed a year ago to a smart Roku TV. and I am wondering when the roku in the smart TV gets old will I just have to buy a brand new TV?   Or will there some how be a way to update the roku in the smart TV?   This all seems a little odd to me to offer smart TV's with roku built in if the roku will not last as long as the smart TV will.   

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: roku smart TV getting updates???

Jump to solution

@HB77, so far Roku hasn't announced any Roku TV that won't get support/updates, but if it does happen you can always plug a Roku device into the TV like you would a Blu-ray player or cable box.  There would be no need to replace the whole TV.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Mspiege23

Jump to solution

Exactly when will the 3500X stick no longer be supported?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

My email said my model #2710 will no longer get the updates...but I have model #3900X. Should I assume it also is going to become obsolete?

0 Kudos
georgeg3
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

In my case I received the email because at one time I was using a Roku 2710 stick. Might be in a box somewhere but I’m not currently using it.

0 Kudos
Gake
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yes. Eventually. That's what they do b/c they want you to buy new ones. This is a bad practice Roku picked up from Apple. This is also the reason I dropped my Iphone 4 and went with Android after and never had to worry about this, at least for a while.

These companies are out of touch with reality and everyday Americans. They live in a bubble of Millenial teenyboppers who are in debt, can't play student loans, but can afford to update their tech each year.

They say the 3500 won't be able to receive new features without asking do people want new features? Hey, it plays 720p, it has stereo. That's ALL I need. I don't have a 4k, I don't have dolby surround, and I am not planning to get it.

They keep saying 3500 is 8 yrs old. So what? My laptop is 10 yrs old, my car is 20 yrs old, and my TV is at least another 10-15 years. They don't seem to make me upgrade all the time.

There was a time when companies "offer" new features, it's called salesmenship. You made a better product, you sell it to your customers. Now, with Apple leading the way, they lie, manipulate, and force people to buy their products. In the bigger picture it tells you the kind of attitude that is spreading like plague. Entitlement, sanctimony, hubris, etc... company mocking customers, demanding rather than offering, etc... The Bank of Halifax story? You don't agree with our political stance, we don't want your business.

And that is what we're seeing.

I had an email exchange with the community manager here on Roku. I'm quite satisfied with her response, so I will continue to use my Roku and probably replace it once it is inoperable. However, other companies I have cut ties with, Apple being one. Sure, I'm just one guy, I won't make much of a difference by myself. Apple is still multi-billion company. But it is the principle that matters and in the end, well look at what is happening to the stock market and the nation. Does it matter to them now? How about after the nation collapses? What then? And then of course, when our lives end, the final judgment?

When people no longer have integrity, they no longer have foundation. Without a foundation, the whole thing comes crashing down. It's what we're seeing right now in this country. I highly doubt we will survive November, no matter which side wins. Because in the end, the ones who suffer are always the middle class, the people.

DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Gake wrote:

... They keep saying 3500 is 8 yrs old. So what? My laptop is 10 yrs old, my car is 20 yrs old, and my TV is at least another 10-15 years. They don't seem to make me upgrade all the time. ...

If your laptop is using a 10-year old operating system, then you are running a very unsecure OS, if you're running Windows. I expect you have updated it. And you must never have yet experienced a situation of your computer not able to upgrade to a new OS. I doubt Windows 11 will install on it, and when Microsoft discontinues support for Windows 10, you'll be in a very bad spot. Unless you decide to move to Linux.

So, yeah, you may not have run into that with your computer (which, by the way, cost a lot more than a Roku device) but you will.

Your car is a different thing. Of course, if you were around when they stopped selling leaded gasoline, and if you had a car that run on leaded gas, then you would have experienced this very thing. Having to buy additives was not an ideal situation.

And eight years old for a cheap streaming device is a long time. Heck, the first Amazon Fire Stick came out eight years ago, and running one of those today would be a huge pain.

The technology in streaming is advancing at a greater pace than most computers, and certainly most automobiles, hence the streamers will become obsolete at a fast pace.

Your model 3500 will still work. You won't get updates, but the device will still work. Heck, older Roku devices, dropped from support years ago, still work today. That is, if the app developer is not implementing newer technology in the app. Many apps will still work on the Legacy devices, and when the 3500 becomes a Legacy device, it will still work for apps that don't depend on newer tech -- tech that either didn't exist when the 3500 was built, or if it did exist, was very expensive to implement at the time.

Technology advances. And it will continue to do so.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Gake
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Completely mi

@DBDukes wrote:

@Gake wrote:

... They keep saying 3500 is 8 yrs old. So what? My laptop is 10 yrs old, my car is 20 yrs old, and my TV is at least another 10-15 years. They don't seem to make me upgrade all the time. ...

If your laptop is using a 10-year old operating system, then you are running a very unsecure OS, if you're running Windows. I expect you have updated it. And you must never have yet experienced a situation of your computer not able to upgrade to a new OS. I doubt Windows 11 will install on it, and when Microsoft discontinues support for Windows 10, you'll be in a very bad spot. Unless you decide to move to Linux.

So, yeah, you may not have run into that with your computer (which, by the way, cost a lot more than a Roku device) but you will.

Your car is a different thing. Of course, if you were around when they stopped selling leaded gasoline, and if you had a car that run on leaded gas, then you would have experienced this very thing. Having to buy additives was not an ideal situation.

And eight years old for a cheap streaming device is a long time. Heck, the first Amazon Fire Stick came out eight years ago, and running one of those today would be a huge pain.

The technology in streaming is advancing at a greater pace than most computers, and certainly most automobiles, hence the streamers will become obsolete at a fast pace.

Technology advances. And it will continue to do so.

**** WWWWHHHHOOOOOOOSSSSSHHHHH ******

Completely missed my point. Good thing you don't work for Roku customer service or else they might consider firing you b/c you are actively justifying robbing your customers and then mocking them as if you are doing them a favor. All this I covered in my 1st post to this topic. Then you dump technical arguments trying to sound smart without any common sense to reality, "Oh no! You didn't update to a brand new laptop for Win 11, your computer going to explode!!!!"

I don't have 4k. I don't have dolby surround. I'm happy with my Roku at 720p and stereo. Get it through your thick skull. "Oh it's 8 yr old you can afford a new one!" like "oh gas so high, buy a $60k EV then!" **bleep**ing elitist troll while you probably can't even pay off your student loans. The hubris.

And if anyone here thinking I'm being political, I don't care for politics left or right. I just call them as I see them. Like many in America, I simply want to be left alone.

Now... how do I unsubscribe to this thread so it doesn't flood my mailbox with idiotic replies.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Gake wrote:

Now... how do I unsubscribe to this thread

At the top of the page, to the right of the breadcrumbs for this thread, click the three vertical dots. The menu should have an Unsubscribe option.

Oh, and I paid off my student loans. In 1980.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos