Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jkeen

Can I use Google Assistant to make a channel auto start without pushing buttons?

I recently got a Roku for my grandfather so he can use his Google speaker to navigate instead of remote control because he's legally blind. He likes to listen to the news but all the buttons are too much for him to remember to launch a channel and then get it to play. Is there a way to use the Google speaker to not only get it to launch but start playing automatically?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can I use Google Assistant to make a channel auto start without pushing buttons?

@jkeen 

A little more information might be helpful.

Since you can create a Routine (I think that's what Google Assistant calls them) to launch a Roku app, it may depend on the app. Some news apps, for instance, start playing as soon as you launch them. So, I'm assuming that's not what you're talking about, as you would simply have asked if Google Assistant can launch an app.

So, details will help. What app? And that matters as different apps require different processes to launch and play content. Playing news from, say, Roku Channel isn't the same steps as playing news from, say, Sling TV.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

Re: Can I use Google Assistant to make a channel auto start without pushing buttons?

@jkeen  You can use a Google assistant device to control your Roku but it’s limited. Alexa uses routine not Google. For example you can say “Hey Google play Netflix on Roku”. But after that you’re limited you can’t give it a command to play special will be her show. Here is a link

https://support.roku.com/article/360009649613

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.