Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
irfangnosis
Level 8

how do I get my TV to stop asking to switch to sling TV?

how do I get my TV to stop asking to switch to sling TV? I live in the sticks and can not stream anything. I watch network TV or DVDs. during either my TV would stop and ask me to switch to sling TV. I was able to delete the sling TV app but now it asks me if i want to add the sling channel. I had never even herd of sling TV till i bought this piece of **bleep**. 

I don't want my TV to stop broadcasting and ask me questions. how do I get rid of this **bleep**?

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Tivoburkee
Level 20

Re: how do I get my TV to stop asking to switch to sling TV?

Your Roku Tv remote does it have SlingTv key? Well, stop pressing it. problem solved.

Edmund
0 Kudos
irfangnosis
Level 8

@Tivoburkee wrote:

Your Roku Tv remote does it have SlingTv key? Well, stop pressing it. problem solved.

I'm not pressing anything, remote sitting on the counter. it switches by itself while I am watching. rather infuriating.

0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 14

@irfangnosis wrote:

@Tivoburkee wrote:

I'm not pressing anything, remote sitting on the counter. it switches by itself while I am watching. rather infuriating.

I would suggest checking to see if the settings in SMART TV EXPERIENCE are enabled. This could be causing it to 'suggest' that you use an app to view a program that you may be watching via LIVE TV. I don't recall it actually switching to another app without using the remote to accept the suggestion. I would check the following settings in the Roku OS:

From Home Screen navigate to SETTINGS -- PRIVACY -- SMART TV EXPERIENCE
Uncheck the following settings to disable:

USE INFO FROM TV INPUTS
ENABLE AUTO NOTIFICATIONS

Disabling these settings should prevent 'suggestions' from popping up while watching LIVE TV channels.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Sound | Fire TV Stick 4K
irfangnosis
Level 8

@blade_005 wrote:

@irfangnosis wrote:

@Tivoburkee wrote:

I would suggest checking to see if the settings in SMART TV EXPERIENCE are enabled. This could be causing it to 'suggest' that you use an app to view a program that you may be watching via LIVE TV. I don't recall it actually switching to another app without using the remote to accept the suggestion. I would check the following settings in the Roku OS:

From Home Screen navigate to SETTINGS -- PRIVACY -- SMART TV EXPERIENCE
Uncheck the following settings to disable:

USE INFO FROM TV INPUTS
ENABLE AUTO NOTIFICATIONS

Disabling these settings should prevent 'suggestions' from popping up while watching LIVE TV channels.

Thank you for a helpful reply.  FWIW only the "use info from tv inputs" was checked. and it would ask about sling TV during DVD playback. I have gotten less interruptions since I deleted the Sling app, but like i had said it now wants me to add sling.

irfangnosis
Level 8

my TV still interrupts both network TV and DVD playback with request to add the sling channel and now it asks about vudu.... can some one tell me how to make my TV stop doing this?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 20

Do you have repeater system in place so to control components in the living from bedroom? If so, you could be picking up a neighbors commands who might have similar system?

Edmund
0 Kudos
irfangnosis
Level 8

@Tivoburkee wrote:

Do you have repeater system in place so to control components in the living from bedroom? If so, you could be picking up a neighbors commands who might have similar system?

I do not have a repeater. my nearest neighbor is a 1/2 mile away. As I said I live in the sticks, no cable, worlds slowest DSL. I cannot stream. my download speed is 0.47 Mbps on a good day. it has been as low as 0.32.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 20

Just trying to up with some answers for you, what I was referring to go back to 80's like radio shack, x10, or RCA pyramids, had nothing to do with the internet.

Edmund
0 Kudos
irfangnosis
Level 8

@Tivoburkee wrote:

Just trying to up with some answers for you, what I was referring to go back to 80's like radio shack, x10, or RCA pyramids, had nothing to do with the internet.

I have one TV in the house. hooked to an external antenna, I am old school. I am not into electronic technology, and when the technology fails like it is right now, I am not happy. 

I find it hard to believe I am the only one who has ever had this problem.

I dont like my "SMART" TV asking me to change channels. if it was "SMART" it would let me watch TV in peace.

0 Kudos