Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Why is my TCL TV stuck on red screen?

Jump to solution

@Roll256Tide

Thanks for the post.

If the only thing you are seeing on your Roku TV is a red screen and are still not able to change the screen even after factory resetting the TV, it may appear that you are running into a hardware issue.

Have you tried contacting TCL support yet to inquire further? I'd suggest starting there to see what options or suggestions they can provide. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support for their products running the Roku OS. 

You can reach them here: https://support.tclusa.com/televisions or at 1-877-300-8837.

Additional community topics that you might find helpful:

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CDU
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku TV stuck on red start up screen

Jump to solution

Similar issue here, with my TCL C134X Roku TV (recent model), firmware version 10.0.0.4209. 

My fix was to unplug the power cord from my surge suppressor (which is there to protect my TV from power surges and lightning strikes) wait 60 seconds, and plug it back into the power source.   I'm sure the same thing would work if my Roku TV had been plugged straight into the wall.

That was the fix.  Let's talk about the original problem, which Roku needs to track down...

The streaming channels on Roku devices are either software-enabled (through installed channel apps) or firmware-enabled (through Roku's frequently-updated device firmware).  Since the RSOD (Red Screen Of Death) issue never happened before, despite the fact that I have used several different channel apps without problems over the past several months, and since this only happened after I added a specific channel app, I would say that 'new' channel app is the cause of the problem (not the firmware.  In my case, I had gone straight to the Peacock preview app from the home screen.  Although, really, it could have been any channel app.  The last thing I did before the RSOD took over was that I turned my RokuTV off in the middle of watching a program on Peacock.  After I cleared the RSOD, I tried 2 other apps.  No RSOD after turning off the Roku TV in the middle of a program. I then opened the regular Peacock app (not the preview), tried turning off during a program and... nothing.  The RSOD did not come back!  Hmm.

Peacock again. 

0 Kudos
Camperbob
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

And wont do anything else

0 Kudos
Camperbob
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Roku does not have a answer for this guess should not have bought a tcl roku TV my bad

0 Kudos
CDU
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

CamperBob, that is unfortunate. 

But 'don't throw out the baby with the bathwater,' as the old saying goes!

Your TV's symptoms don't necessarily mean that TCL is "bad" or ROKU is "bad," as your last comment seemed to suggest. More likely there is a FIRMWARE problem.  Firmware is the pre-installed and/or device-dependent software (in this case, the ROKU software "firmly" installed in your TCL TV's hardware. 

To FIX the firmware, unplug the TV's power cord, wait 60 seconds, and plug it back into the power source.  When you turn on your TCL TV again, it should (if it is hard-wired to either a cable provider or an internet connection) automatically check for the most updated firmware version.  It might even automatically update itself, and get rid of the "Red Screen Of Death," like mine did!  I haven't had any more problems, since then.   

By the way, this is my 3rd (THIRD) TCL TV, and it's my 2nd TCL ROKU TV.   Why?  Because they are great TVs, and because I broke the screens on the first 2, before I got smart and hung the third one up on my wall with a high quality wall mount.

0 Kudos
Rdble

Jump to solution

I unplugged everything from the wall. Internet, tv, antenna, everything. When I plugged it all back up I saw the same red roku screen. I pressed the roku button and it fixed it.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Or maybe the TCL ROKU is just junk. 

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@murraypatterson wrote:

Or maybe the TCL ROKU is just junk. 

I have three TCL Roku TV's.  One is over three years old.  I have never had an issue with any of them.  No brand is perfect and sometimes you get a faulty product.  If the TV is less than a year old TCL will replace it.

0 Kudos
John_t1948

Jump to solution

Same stuck on red screen after doing a factory reset.  3 months old and now very dumb smart tv.  Tried reset button, remove plug for 30 seconds and tried 24 hours unplug still no go.  

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hi @John_t1948

We do apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.

Have you tried contacting the TV manufacturer to inquire further? I'd suggest starting there to see what options or suggestions they can provide. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS.

For a list of Roku TV manufacturers contact information, visit our Community post here: Contacting Support for Your Roku TV

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos