Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Use Roku ultra on a roku ready tv?

Jump to solution

Hello!

I know it's been a while since this topic was discussed, but I just got an email from Roku saying that the software for the Roku Streaming Stick (3400X, 3420X) that came with my JVC Roku Ready TV will no longer be receiving updates as of November 15, 2019. 

That Roku stick that goes in the MHL port is controlled by my TV remote, so it's super-convenient. Does anyone know if there are any newer Roku streaming sticks that run off that MHL port, and if they'd be controlled by my JVC remote like the one that came with the TV is?

Thanks very much!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

Sorry, but no. There no mhl roku made, does the jvc have true hdmi? Just plug the new roku in there and use new remote that comes with the roku.

Edmund

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info, Tivoburkee!

Unfortunately, both my non-MHL HDMI ports are being used for other connections, so I guess I'll stick with what I've got until I start having problems with the Roku service.

I'm rather disappointed, because the TV remote has a lot more functionality than the Roku remote does, and it seems like if Roku was going to create all these partnerships with TV manufacturers that they'd either keep up support for the Roku devices created for them or make something available to keep the same functionality.

Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@rbertone wrote:

Thanks for the info, Tivoburkee!

Unfortunately, both my non-MHL HDMI ports are being used for other connections, so I guess I'll stick with what I've got until I start having problems with the Roku service.

I'm rather disappointed, because the TV remote has a lot more functionality than the Roku remote does, and it seems like if Roku was going to create all these partnerships with TV manufacturers that they'd either keep up support for the Roku devices created for them or make something available to keep the same functionality.

Well, you could always use an AVR with HDMI ports. Typically they come with at least 3 HDMI ports, and often 4 or more. Then just run a single HDMI cable from the AVR to the TV. Of course, you have to add speakers as well, but the major bonus is than unless the speakers are tin cans it will sound far better than the TV's speakers. You don't even have to put all six (5.1) speakers on the system, just a left/right is enough to make it sound much better. Of course, for the cost on even an inexpensive HDMI equipped AVR and two speakers you could probably just buy a new TV and Roku Stick combined. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos