Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
J-Money463
Channel Surfer

Uneven Volume Increments on Hisense Roku TV

I ordered a 43”, 1080p Hisense Roku TV on Boxing Day 2021, and have been using it for a few months. However, I’ll really annoyed by how the jump in volume between levels 9 and 10 is a much larger gap than between any other levels. The TV is in my bedroom, and level 9 isn’t loud enough to be heard from bed, but 10 is obnoxiously loud. It’s a much wider gap and is very frustrating when having to choose between not hearing the show or it waking up the whole house.

Anyone have this issue? The audio settings are limited so I don’t know what else to try.

32 REPLIES 32
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Re: Uneven Volume Increments on Hisense Roku TV

Roku does not make the TV. Hisense does. But there is a feature in the Roku OS called "volume leveling". While watching something press the * button on the remote. Go to sound and turn on volume leveling. This will even out loud voices and soft voices or sounds. 

https://support.roku.com/article/226802507

J-Money463
Channel Surfer

Just checked this, and it isn’t an option. The only sound settings available are sound mode, DTS TruSurround and Dialog Clarity. It is a Hisense TV but I feel like volume increments being larger than others would be a software issue, and the Roku OS seems to be limited on this TV in terms of sound settings

TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

The option should be there. I have a TCL Roku TV. 2 of them. The option is there. Start watching something. Like a movie on Disney+ or another channel. While watching it press the * button. Move the cursor down. It’s there. All Roku TV models have this option. Says is in the link I sent. If somehow the option is not there there isn’t much more you can do besides by external speaks such as the Roku Wireless Speakers

0 Kudos
J-Money463
Channel Surfer

Just tried it in Netflix. Same thing, the settings haven’t changed.

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

What do you see when you press the * on the remote. You should have tons of options. Picture modes, brightness, volume modes, volume leveling and more 

https://www.techhive.com/article/579229/streaming-tvs-invisible-annoyance.html/amp

0 Kudos
J-Money463
Channel Surfer

When I hit the * I see:

- Sleep Timer

- picture settings

- sound settings

when I click sound settings:

-  sound mode

- DTSTrusurround

- Dialog clarity

That‘s it! And it’s the same across all apps

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Are you using a separate speaker? Like a soundbar? Or are you using just the build in TV speakers? You should have the option. Unless you bought a very generic TV. Have you tried updating it and restarting it?

0 Kudos
J-Money463
Channel Surfer

Have restarted multiple times and the software is up to date! Using the TV speakers. Starting to think I just wasted money on a budget TV that has limited features and troubleshooting capabilities. My Sharp roku TV is much better

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Always research before you buy something. People are attracted to the price and not the quality. You never mentioned you had another Roku TV. So your Sharp Roku TV has volume leveling? People buy the budget Roku Express then complain they have WiFi issues. You get what you paid for unfortunately. What size is the TV? How much? My 32” TCL Roku TV was only $200 and I got tons of options when I press * My TCL 65” 4K was only $500. I love it 

0 Kudos