Discussions

Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rleadlie
Reel Rookie

Trying to get help with a Roku device that will decode DD+ for my home theater set-up

I have a 1080p Toshiba 55L310U TV. From what I can tell it has some effect called DTS TruSurround but appears to have no Dolby decoding ability. Connected to that TV via an optical wire is the HTiB Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers System. That system can decode Dolby Digital and DTS audio tracks. It cannot decode the Dolby Digital+ audio that most streaming apps appear to use (i.e. Amazon Prime and Hulu). Showtime Anytime, Apple TV, and Roku Channel are the only apps I use that can be decoded by my set up. Vudu recently moved to DD+ so now my purchases on that no longer get decoded.

I use the #Roku 3 for streaming. It runs fairly well after nearly a decade; I appreciate the Roku brand because of that. I was told that the Roku Ultra model numbers 4640, 4800, and 4802 have an encoder that can make the DD+ audio be read as Dolby Digital.

I read in one of these forums that older TVs will not send 5.1 audio out from an optical connection to the Roku and instead output in stereo. I am not sure if that has any effect on my setup.

My question is, if I buy one of these Roku Ultra models should my set-up be able to output audio properly decoded if it is a DD+ audio track? And would getting the Ultra model 4640 be helpful for my needs with its optical audio connection or will the HDMI connection on the models 4800/4802 be sufficient enough to decode DD+?

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.