Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

TCL TV and WIndows 10

I am trying to hook a windows 10 pc to my TCL and it is not working. 
I already attached a windows 7 PC to the TV via HDMI.  It was easy. plug in HDMI and choose the input.  I tried to do the same with the windows 10 pc but that is not working.  I can see the boot screen when I boot the pc but as soon as windows starts I have nothing.  When I attach a regular PC monitor I have no issues.  I think the problem is with the TV input but I can't figure out how to fix.  
TV Specs:
TCL Model 55S401
Version 9.0.0

In the PC display settings it will identify the TV as a display. the TV just won't show anything.  

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 13

Re: TCL TV and WIndows 10

"bc320" wrote:
I am trying to hook a windows 10 pc to my TCL and it is not working. 
I already attached a windows 7 PC to the TV via HDMI.  It was easy. plug in HDMI and choose the input.  I tried to do the same with the windows 10 pc but that is not working.  I can see the boot screen when I boot the pc but as soon as windows starts I have nothing.  When I attach a regular PC monitor I have no issues.  I think the problem is with the TV input but I can't figure out how to fix.  
TV Specs:
TCL Model 55S401
Version 9.0.0

In the PC display settings it will identify the TV as a display. the TV just won't show anything.  

Quick place to check is the HDMI MODE setting for the input. SETTINGS -- TV INPUTS - HDMI INPUT - HDMI MODE

Try setting it to HDMI 2.0 if it is currently set to AUTO or 1.4.
TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | Fire TV Stick 4K
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

So far I have tried the following:
Switching HDMI Cables
Switching HDMI Inputs (tried all 3)
Switching HDMI Modes
Switching Input names
Hard power reset
Search for firmware updates
enabling/disabling game mode
Changing resolution as low as it will go on PC
Attempted to change refresh rate but not allowed
0 Kudos
Highlighted

I have the same problem.  Here is the solution but first a little explanation as to what is happening.  The problem is Windows not Roku or TCL.

When you plug a screen into Windows it sets up the screen based on what it believes the best settings will be given the screen's parameters.  When those settings are incompatible with the screen, the end result is that the screen goes black.  Unfortunately because the screen is your only screen you can't see, find, or fix the problem.  The solution will involve the use of a second screen assuming that you have a dual screen setup on your computer.

Step 1: Plug in your second helper screen

Step 2: If you are unable to see on that screen as well, keep pressing Windows Key + P until you are able to see from your helper screen.

Step 3: Login to your account

Step 4: Right Click on your desktop and select "Display Settings"

- A New Window will Appear

Step 5: Scroll Down to "Advanced Display Settings" and Click

Step 6: Select the TCL Monitor from the Display Settings

- The TCL Monitor will likely not be named TCL Monitor.  If you are unsure which is the TCL Monitor then go back to the first screen and click Identify.  TCL is the number you DON'T See.  That monitor is likely also HUGE compared to the helper.

Step 7: From the "Advanced Display Settings" Click the Text "Display Adapter Properties for Display 1 "

- Replace 1 with whatever number that your display has

Step 8: Click the Button Labeled "List All Modes"

-A New Window will Appear

Step 9: Select a New Display Mode

- My system is set on 1024 by 768, True Color (32 bit), 60 Hertz (Recommended)

Step 10: Disconnect your Helper Screen

- This will make your screen go black again.  Relax.  That is normal.

Step 11: Wait 5 seconds

- This is to ensure that the screen has changed modes

Step 12: Press Enter

- This will save the new settings for your screen

Step 13: Press A

- This will apply the changes to your screen.

You SHOULD be able to see your screen now.  These changes should be saved now and you can use your screen like normal.

Understand that Windows seems to have it's display settings set up as profiles.  This means that there is a profile for a multiple-display setup and a profile for single display setup.  That being said, if you fix the problem while in the multi-display profile, the problem is ONLY fixed for the multiple-display profile.  When you disconnect the helper screen, Windows resets to the single display profile and the screen goes black again.  That being said, it may be a good idea to set the display settings while using the multiple-display profile and just go back to "List All Modes" and prep to reset it again.  If you are in that state (With the display setting selected from Step 9), you should then be able to continue with the remaining steps and fix the problem for both profiles.

0 Kudos