Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

TCL TV - Did we lose the ability to remove on screen volume display with latest update?

Up till today (6/24/20) I've had the on screen volume display on my TCL TV turned off. I use my Onkyo receiver for volume and I hate seeing the volume on the tv when I change my receiver's volume. I believe the ability to turn off the volume display used to be found when you star option as you highlight your receiver's input button on the home screen.

This option now appears to be gone. Was this overlooked or done away with in version 9.3 (I checked, the TV updated to 9.3).

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Tags (3)
38 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: TCL TV - Did we lose the ability to remove on screen volume display with latest update?

I’m also experiencing this on 9.3.

it’s very distracting, I hope it is quickly fixed back 

Highlighted
Level 9

Re: TCL TV - Did we lose the ability to remove on screen volume display with latest update?

Thanks. Good (but not good) to know I’m not going insane and there’s no way to get it off the screen now.

Fingers crossed for a quick patch.

Highlighted
Level 8

This has happened to me as well! I am sooo not happy!!! Can we rollback the update to get rid of this super annoying volume display?? Why would they take that function away??

Highlighted
Level 8

+1, same issue, hoping we can get some attention on this.

It's quite common for me to ride the volume on movies and TV (between my bad hearing for quiet dialog, and my kids sensitive hearing for explosive action scenes), which is now deeply distracting thanks to the volume overlay.

Highlighted
Level 8

Yeah, it's super annoying to not be able to remove the volume display. I have a Denon receiver with the volume scale relative to reference, so the values are typically negative. Now I have two competing on-screen displays showing completely different numbers.

Highlighted
Level 9

This is exactly my issue as I'm the volume master during our family movie nights. I'm always making it louder for dialogue and quickly lowering during loud action and the family is none the wiser and perfectly happy.

Now every time I touch the volume a not insignificant portion of the top of the screen is blotted out by volume numbers. 

Highlighted
Level 9

Even more frustrating for you! I've got a ticket in with them and hopefully if enough people chime in they'll quickly patch the ability to remove the on screen volume back in.

Highlighted
Level 8

I never found any option to do that. I looked everywhere through the settings.  I also have an onkyo reciever and that was easily corrected.  Please post if you find it again.  Thanks. 

Highlighted
Level 9

Maybe another commenter can chime in but I believe, not 100% sure since it's now gone, but I believe that the option to turn off the on screen volume used to be accessed this way:

1. Roku Home screen

2. Highlight/click on the box/menu that has your receiver associated with it

3. Press * on your remote

4. It was then an option that was in there.

5. This option menu is now very obviously retooled and different looking with update 9.3. Now there's just options to move the menu, delete, etc.....nothing about the on screen options.

I'm hoping the option comes back quickly and it was just an oversight in 9.3.

Like I said, maybe another commentor can confirm that this is where is used to be before the update.