Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
3IMOH
Level 7

TCL Roku TV's / DD+ issue with Samsung HW-N950

Hi-
I have a Samsung HW-N950 soundbar and am having an issue with 2 different TCL Roku TV's being "silent" when selecting Dolby Digtal+,DTS from the audio menu.

It is not clear if this is an issue with Roku or the soundbar. I am hoping someone out there has run into this before. 

Issue: Roku detects DD+ capability of the HW-N950 however there is no sound from the soundbar when DD+ is selected in Roku. Even the Roku menu clicks go silent so this has nothing to do with the content being played. I am able to adjust the volume via CEC but there is no sound at all.

When switching to standard DD, everything works fine. 

I had this issue on 2 65" TCL Roku 6 series units (had to exchange TV due to screen issues)
I also have this issue on a 55" TCL Roku tv (same OS version)
The soundbar has been exchanged per Samsung's recommendation. Same issue with new one.
I have tried 4 different HDMI cables

TCL support is giving me truly bizarre answers, like this gem:
"Please note that if you are viewing a content that does not support Dolby Atmos, the TV will not produce any audio."
Clearly, I am still trying to get them to understand the issue.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
27 Replies
3IMOH
Level 7

Re: TCL Roku TV's / DD+ issue with Samsung HW-N950

Just poking this thread to see if any Roku Techs have any ideas about this issue. I have been reading other boards where DD+ on Roku does not properly work with some AVR's / soundbars. Is Roku aware of the issue? Are there any plans to try and fix this? I purchased the TV because of the promise that it would send ATMOS content to the soundbar via DD+ for streaming apps. This is not possible now since the TV won't send anything at all when trying to use DD+.

Just hoping to get any thoughts at all from anyone on this.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, 

Thanks for the note. Which specific streaming channels are you watching when you experience this issue? Does this occur on multiple streaming channels, or just one? 

Please feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address, TV's serial number from Settings>System>About, and any additional details about the issue, including example content titles from any channel you're experiencing the issue with. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
apodtele
Level 7

As is apparent, Roku tries to shift the DD+ blame on channels. No, the issue is with Roku itself. The damn TV broadcast would loose DD+ sync and audio when changing channels. Roku does not seem to know how to resync DD+ stream with sound bars and AVRs.
0 Kudos
JPEG
Level 7

@apodtele

Agreed. It is a Roku problem for sure.

The Roku "Menu Sounds" go silent immediately after choosing DD+, proof that this has nothing to do with any particular channel or app.

I just don't get it. This problem is well-known but Roku and TCL aren't even acknowledging it.
0 Kudos
capatty
Level 7

I likewise have this issue on my TCL 6 series TV (SN in signature.) The documentation for the Samsung AVR indicates that it supports DD+, yet I need to select DD or PCM in order to get any sound. No issues when streaming directly to the sound bar using other devices. Please identify and resolve this incompatibility.

My TV is currently running 9.0.0 build 4151-30.
TCL 55 inch 6 Series R613 (SN:YS00W7626058)
TCL 42 inch 5 Series (SN:YS00SA847038)
AVR: Samsung HW-N950 (5.1 DD, DTS+)
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

If you're also experiencing this issue, please feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address, your TV's serial number from Settings>System>About, the specific make/model of soundbar or A/V receiver you're using, and any additional details about the issue. Please also include any example channels/content titles from any channel you're experiencing the issue with, and whether you can hear system sounds when navigating using your remote while DD+ is selected. 

I can help pass this along to our team so they can take a closer look. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
sameezch
Level 7

It’s been a month since you reported this issue. Have you found a solution yet? I am thinking of buying this sound system for my 65 inch
0 Kudos
Mike_HC
Level 7

For anyone looking at this thread, the exact same issue exists between the TCL 6 Series and the new Samsung HW-Q90R (the successor to the HW-N950).

I too hope this can be resolved as I would like the product to work as advertised and would enjoy Dolby Atmos straight from the TV.
0 Kudos
apodtele
Level 7

Don't hold your breath. The DD+ problems have been reported since 2016. At this point, I would just be happy to know if DD+ works for anybody. They always make it sound that it's an isolated  personal problem - asking for serial number and such. You are not alone.
0 Kudos