Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thedoomster
Level 8

TCL R615 ignores picture mode changes after power cycle

This problem has plagued my 2018 model (purchased in January 2019) for the last 2 months or so.  Since TCL Support could not offer assistance other than the usual reset options and seeing a similar issue on the R625 local dimming problem discussion, I'm assuming the issue is software.  I am at version 9.3.0 build 4194-30. 

The problem: changing the Picture mode after a power-cycle has no effect.  It stays at the last picture setting when it was shut off.  Occasionally the Picture brightness also does not visibly change, but not always.  This happens with all content.

The only current workaround is to Restart Roku TV.  However, that did not fix the problem at first after trying the resets.  Then I switched HDMI connections HDMI1->HDMI2 cable box HDMI2->HDMI1 4kBD player.  Then I could switch Picture modes again.  That worked for about two months, but the problem returned right around the Aug 6 update.  Coincidence?

Even though I have a inconvenient workaround, my confidence is shaken somewhat.  Please confirm if this is a known issue or not.

11 Replies
edornes
Level 7

Re: TCL R615 ignores picture mode changes after power cycle

I have the same exact problem!

StupidUsername
Level 7

I have been having same problem. Every time I switch an input it would force all color modes back to dynamic with action smoothing effect on. But the settings would reflect my original settings action smoothing off with movie colors. I also figured out that if you do a reset it would fix it for awhile but it just starts again when switching inputs. I got so frustrated with the whole thing that I just factory reset and disconnected from the internet so they won’t force anymore updates on me. After I did that the tv works perfectly. No more color or action smooth issues. I now just basically use it as a monitor. Can’t use any apps since it’s not connected to internet but I can watch streaming apps through my PS4 or PC connected to tv.  It is no longer a smart tv. Just dumb. I won’t connect again until I hear of a fix. 

thedoomster
Level 8

This just keep getting weirder.  The problem cleared itself for a few days (and multiple power cycles) this week, then reappeared again.  There was no software update.  The only thing I recall doing differently just before it cleared was stream a 4K/HDR movie on MoviesAnywhere.  Maybe invoking HDR setting causes/clears it?  Dunno, but I'll do more testing.

Steven409
Level 8

This same thing has started happening to me just recently on my 65R615. Restarting the device through the Power options in Settings was the first thing I did and, while it helped for a bit, it didn't last long. 

I use a calibrated "Movie" picture mode across all inputs and when this glitch (or whatever it is) happens, it looks to be stuck in "Vivid" mode. It has extreme brightness and colors and any setting I change has no visible effect. 

Restarting the TV seems to fix it until I change inputs which requires me to restart the TV again. Sometimes when this glitch happens, the color will appear posterized which tells me there is something much more concerning going on.

Even when it's back to "normal",  and I can change the settings, it doesn't quite look right.

Has TCL acknowledged this issue? 

thedoomster
Level 8

I wasn't aware of the issue also caused by switching inputs, but I'm not surprised - I'll have to check that as I have a 4K BD player connected to another input (primary is a cable box).

I have not received a reply from Roku on this issue.  It doesn't appear there is any other way to contact Support.

The only thing I haven't tried is unplugging the TV for an extended amount of time.  Otherwise I've tried all published resets.

The workaround is an inconvenience, but if a solution is not found I will most likely not purchase another TCL Roku TV.

0 Kudos
Steven409
Level 8

I just purchased mine in December, so it's still under warranty. Everything else on it works perfectly, with excellent grey uniformity, so I'd hate to risk receiving an inferior replacement if this is something that can be fixed with a simple patch.

TCL doesn't seem to have much in terms of support forums and I haven't seen this issue too widespread on Reddit or other sites.

0 Kudos
Kretrop
Level 7

I've been having a similar issue. My TV initially was fine, though months ago I noticed some serious input lag when gaming, and it was never present before. I had previously tried game mode, and didn't like the picture degradation, so I kept it off, and seemed to be fine. Well, I had to turn game mode on after noticing that lag. The lag was back to normal, and the picture quality seemed better than previously with it on, so no biggie. 

Fast forward to now. A week or so ago, I noticed that the colors seemed super vivid, and the lag was back when gaming. All of my settings were the same, but it's like they weren't registering, or taking effect. I ended up resetting them, putting them back to where they should be, and then we were good. Until today. Same thing is happening again: colors are super vivid, my movie mode isn't the normal darker/redder movie mode, and my input lag while gaming is atrocious. It's showing my settings there, but it's not actually applying them. 

Interestingly, I was watching a movie last night on Amazon (through the TV app, not through my Xbox or anything), and the colors and brightness looked obviously off there, too, line everything was jacked way up. Part way through the movie, it was like the TV realized "oh yeah, we need to apply these settings", and THEN the movie mode kicked in. You could literally see when this happened during the movie, as the brightness and colors all "toned down" to where they should be. 

This seems to be an obvious software thing to me, but it is definitely frustrating, especially since I do a lot of gaming on my 615r55. The input lag is killing me in COD, literally, since it seems to not be actually applying my picture settings, including game mode. Searching online brought me here, where it seems like I'm not the only one. 

0 Kudos
thedoomster
Level 8

Decided to try the full factory reset again and this time I unplugged the TV for over 10 minutes.  So far so good.  I've only changed the Backlight setting (lower) so far.  Stay tuned.

0 Kudos
ukor_YSp5zN3l
Level 8

@Kretrop wrote:

I've been having a similar issue. My TV initially was fine, though months ago I noticed some serious input lag when gaming, and it was never present before. I had previously tried game mode, and didn't like the picture degradation, so I kept it off, and seemed to be fine. Well, I had to turn game mode on after noticing that lag. The lag was back to normal, and the picture quality seemed better than previously with it on, so no biggie. 

Fast forward to now. A week or so ago, I noticed that the colors seemed super vivid, and the lag was back when gaming. All of my settings were the same, but it's like they weren't registering, or taking effect. I ended up resetting them, putting them back to where they should be, and then we were good. Until today. Same thing is happening again: colors are super vivid, my movie mode isn't the normal darker/redder movie mode, and my input lag while gaming is atrocious. It's showing my settings there, but it's not actually applying them. 

Interestingly, I was watching a movie last night on Amazon (through the TV app, not through my Xbox or anything), and the colors and brightness looked obviously off there, too, line everything was jacked way up. Part way through the movie, it was like the TV realized "oh yeah, we need to apply these settings", and THEN the movie mode kicked in. You could literally see when this happened during the movie, as the brightness and colors all "toned down" to where they should be. 

This seems to be an obvious software thing to me, but it is definitely frustrating, especially since I do a lot of gaming on my 615r55. The input lag is killing me in COD, literally, since it seems to not be actually applying my picture settings, including game mode. Searching online brought me here, where it seems like I'm not the only one. 

Post here, too. We have 8+ pages of documented issues across multiple modes about settings (particularly game mode) not persisting. 

Lag with gaming console 

0 Kudos