Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Elite49
Level 9

Re: TCL 6-Series and 8-Series Local Dimming quality in game mode from recent 9.3.0 firmware

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you are experiencing this issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku TV brand and model number 
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-are you connecting any external devices to your TV? what are they and how is everything connected?
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-summary of the issue you are experiencing and the troubleshooting steps you have done

Once we have this information we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team for further investigation.

Thanks,
Danny

TCL 6 Series 55R625

X00300LH94HL

S054Y01H94HL

9.3.0 Build 4194-88

Yes, all through HDMI. PS4 Pro, PS3, Nintendo Switch

HL-375-726

During Game Mode the backlight no longer dims properly like it used to. Using the High Setting for Local Contrast no longer dims them enough or turns them off. Turning off Game Mode will fix the issue. Already contacted support and tried everything from factory reset to just plain reset.

The videos linked by @johnnyz86 show the issue occurring because of the firmware update. It's the best and easiest way to show that it's an issue.

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: TCL 6-Series and 8-Series Local Dimming quality in game mode from recent 9.3.0 firmware

@Elite49 

Thanks for providing me with that information.

I have passed it along to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Tags (1)
johnnyz86
Level 8

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you are experiencing this issue, can you please provide us the following information:

-Roku TV brand and model number

TCL 75Q825

-serial number

X003001CM3C1 and X00300M33C34

-device ID

S055Y02CM3C1 and S055Y9D33C34

-software OS/version

9.3.0 build 4194-88-are you connecting any external devices to your TV? what are they and how is everything connected?

Yes, a PC with a Nvidia 2080 Ti and 4k Firestick. Affects all HDMI ports.

-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)

ND-380-167

-summary of the issue you are experiencing and the troubleshooting steps you have done

During Game Mode the backlight no longer dims properly like it used to. Using the High Setting for Local Contrast no longer dims them enough or turns them off. Turning off Game Mode will fix the issue. Already contacted support and tried everything from factory reset to just plain reset.

My replacement TV has shown that it is exactly the firmware update that causes this issue.

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@johnnyz86 

Thanks for the information.

I have passed it along to the appropriate team to look further into.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Tags (1)
dsg76
Level 7

I recently bought a 75" 635, and am seeing what I think is a similar issue.  

Not game mode, but just in watching movies via AVR and AppleTV.   Watching Greyhound for example, in the scenes where they are inside the boat and the light is red, the last 20 minutes of the movie.  Scenes are just a blurry mess, it even bleeds over the letterboxing.   

Dolby Vision is enabled, and I have adjusted the backlighting a bit but still this looks VERY bad.   Bright outdoor scenes look great. 

0 Kudos
AH569670
Level 7

I have a 55R635 and I’m assuming there was an automatic update since just a few days ago local dimming started working perfectly for me in game mode again. I do have the picture setting set to normal but game mode is still on due to auto game mode feature and I’ve confirmed that by seeing that it’s on through the advanced picture settings when in a game. 

0 Kudos
Elite49
Level 9

@AH569670 wrote:

I have a 55R635 and I’m assuming there was an automatic update since just a few days ago local dimming started working perfectly for me in game mode again. I do have the picture setting set to normal but game mode is still on due to auto game mode feature and I’ve confirmed that by seeing that it’s on through the advanced picture settings when in a game. 

Firmware of TV?

0 Kudos
Elite49
Level 9

Hopefully more with this problem take the time to fill out the support info and post it here to help fix this issue.

0 Kudos
Bama89
Level 9

any news on this?

0 Kudos
Wvandeurschfait
Level 9

My Tv got a 9.4 update today and the Local Dimming is finally working again. I guess our complaining actually worked!!! 

0 Kudos