Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

TCL 32S327 32-Inch 1080p Roku Smart LED TV (2018 Model)

Jump to solution

I was hoping someone on the forum could help me... my wife is in a nursing home and while they're temporarily providing a TV we're required to bring our own. The TCL 32S327 32-Inch 1080p would seem to be a great fit being pretty inexpensive and including Roku even though I'm not sure how much she'll use it. The nursing home has a DirecTV package for nursing homes which consists of having a receiver for each TV but all the receivers are located in a closet not in each room... thus coax is just fed to each TV's Antenna Coax input.

My wife and technology should not exist in the same sentence... guess I'm saying she needs everything she uses to be very, very, simple. Lol!

She will want the TCL to turn on to her Coax Input (DirecTV) instead of the Roku Home screen which I read you can easily change in the settings. Also I'm assuming getting to the Roku Home screen is done by the remote's Home button or one of the dedicated app buttons.

Here's my question if she ever decides to use the Roku for streaming is there an easy way for her to get back to her Coax Input to watch DirecTV?

Since she's also required to have headphones I've been looking at wireless headphones that have a charging cradle thinking it would be easier for her. Since these are meant to be located by the TV do you think the TCL would handle driving say a 20' digital optical cable so I could set the cradle by her bed?

I've also been thinking about getting her a Alexa compatible smart plug so she could turn off the TCL using her Echo Dot with Clock. What would be the behavior of the TCL if you told Alexa to turn on the TV... nothing?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: TCL 32S327 32-Inch 1080p Roku Smart LED TV (2018 Model)

Jump to solution

@mike2874  Thanks for the note here. To switch back and forth from the coaxial input on the TV to streaming channels, she will use the input 'tiles' on the Roku home screen. Hitting the 'Home' button on the Roku TV remote will return her to the Roku Home screen, where she can then select a streaming channel to watch. When she is ready to go back to the coaxial input, she will select that input tile from the Roku Home screen once more. 

For headphones, you could try an optical connection, or a 3.5mm audio cable, if the headphones support that. You could also utilize the mobile private listening feature in the Roku mobile app to connect the headphones to her mobile phone, then activate the mobile private listening feature in the Roku mobile app. You can see more about that here: https://support.roku.com/article/217478308-how-do-i-use-headphones-on-my-mobile-device-for-private-l...

We do offer the Roku skill for Amazon Alexa, which would allow her to control some functions using her Alexa enabled device. You can see more about settings that up and the supported functions here: https://support.roku.com/article/360017961074-how-do-i-use-amazon-alexa-with-my-roku-streaming-devic...

Hope that helps! 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@mike2874  Thanks for the note here. To switch back and forth from the coaxial input on the TV to streaming channels, she will use the input 'tiles' on the Roku home screen. Hitting the 'Home' button on the Roku TV remote will return her to the Roku Home screen, where she can then select a streaming channel to watch. When she is ready to go back to the coaxial input, she will select that input tile from the Roku Home screen once more. 

For headphones, you could try an optical connection, or a 3.5mm audio cable, if the headphones support that. You could also utilize the mobile private listening feature in the Roku mobile app to connect the headphones to her mobile phone, then activate the mobile private listening feature in the Roku mobile app. You can see more about that here: https://support.roku.com/article/217478308-how-do-i-use-headphones-on-my-mobile-device-for-private-l...

We do offer the Roku skill for Amazon Alexa, which would allow her to control some functions using her Alexa enabled device. You can see more about settings that up and the supported functions here: https://support.roku.com/article/360017961074-how-do-i-use-amazon-alexa-with-my-roku-streaming-devic...

Hope that helps! 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks Tanner that helped a lot!

If you remember I mentioned in my original post that the nursing home uses a DirecTV Service for Seniors which supplies their Sat signal to each resident’s TV via coax to the Antenna Input. I believe her TV has to be on either ch 3 or ch 4.

So here’s the big question can my wife use the “Private Listening” feature to listen to wireless headphones when using the TCL’s Antenna Input to watch DirecTV?

Thanks!

Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@mike2874 

For that functionality, she would need to use another direct audio output from the TV itself, such as 3.5mm audio or optical, etc. 

For more specific information about the features,/functionality, and details on a particular model of Roku TV, we'd recommend contacting the manufacturer directly. They would be able to provide further help answering any questions. You can locate their contact information here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Manufacturer-Support-Warranty-Resources/Contacting-Support-for-Your-Ro...

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos