Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Elwyn
Level 7

Start up problem. Update loop. Endless

Hello. new Hisense Roku TV today. Started the set up. Nice and easy. Language selected, wifi connected. Great. It then said it was going to check for updates. Up popped a light blue screen. Waited a few minutes. Screen goes off / black. Up pops the same blue screen. For a few more minutes, then goes off / black. And on and on and on and on. Please help.

22 REPLIES 22\
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Start up problem. Update loop. Endless

@Elwyn 

Thanks for the note.

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku TV.

I'd also recommend trying to connect your Roku TV to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can update the TV and set it up. Once the set up is complete, try switching back to your wireless network.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Elwyn
Level 7

Hello

Thanks for your reply. However.....

We have switched off the TV and turned it back on. It goes immediately back into the same loop.

We have switched off / re-set / turned the router back on. That made no change.

Because the tv is stuck in the loop, we can't try a mobile hotspot.

It's not accessible in any way.

Rebooting the TV? What does that mean? We have tried the factory reset button, but that doesn't do anything either. It's just stuck in the loop.

Please help. This is new out of the box today. It's very disappointing (I know it's not your fault)

0 Kudos
Threegeese
Level 9

This is often due to a problem with the dns server on your home router. You may need to change it manually in order to do the first time setup. That’s what Roku had me do. I had to use one of the free dns servers (cloudflare or open dns) and then it worked. Might be worth a try.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Elwyn 

Thanks for the note.

We would recommend trying to perform a factory reset on your Roku TV. When it prompts you to connect to your wireless network, we would recommend using an alternate wireless connection, such as a hot spot.

For more information about performing a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
jleb
Level 7

I had the exact same problem. Brand new Hisense Roku tv. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@jleb 

Thanks for the post.

As my previous post stated, we would recommend trying to connect your TV to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can update and setup your Roku TV. Then once your TV is all set up, try switching back to your home wireless network.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
langstonr23
Level 7

i connected to my hotspot and it did the same thing 

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

@Elwyn 

Thanks for the note.

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku TV.

I'd also recommend trying to connect your Roku TV to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can update the TV and set it up. Once the set up is complete, try switching back to your wireless network.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

i cant reset it im in a college dorm 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@langstonr23 

Thanks for the update.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number/device ID on the Roku device along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Anta
Level 7

We are having the exact same problem. We just bought our new Roku tv a few hours ago and we have been trying to set it up for hours only for it to keep software updating. We tried connecting to both our mobile hotspots and it is syill doing the same. We are pretty disappointed and don't know what else to try.