Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ticked
Level 8

Slow changing channels?

Since the last update, my TCL 55P605 is very slow when I hold down the channel change buttons. Slow enough I no longer do so since it's so much quicker to multi-push the button.

Is this just my TV, or has anyone else noticed this?

Anyone know of a way to speed id back up other than resetting.? Doesn't look like they added any speed changes in the settings.

25 Replies
TCL1
Level 8

Re: Slow changing channels?

Yes, it suddenly just happened to me.  Everything was fine one day, but now I can't hold the up or down button to go quickly through channels.

Even when I multi-push the up and down buttons, there is serious lag time and eventually the channels just won't change at all, then it goes to the restart screen, then to the home screen.

It seems like the TV can't handle me changing channels anymore.  Did TCL deliberately sabotage my TV so that I must buy another?  I've loved TCL up until now.

I'm over Vizio, too.  I guess I'll try a Samsung now.

Astigos
Level 7

This just happened to me yesterday. There must have been some kind of update because the tv UI looks slightly different. I used to be able to change channels as quickly as I could push the up or down button, but now there's a delay after each press.

Bandmasterj
Level 7

Mine too!! I know it was an update because I only have a mobile hotspot for Netflix and my tv changed after turning in the hotspot a couple nights ago. This tv lags so bad now it’s pathetic. I almost destroyed the control this morning. They need a fix quick or I’m going on YouTube to trash Roku TVs. 

Visitor45763
Level 10

The one-channel at a time changing started for me Dec. 18 with an update which also added 1000 streaming channels to antenna tv. 

The way widespread customer requests for numeric-keypad remotes has been ignored for years, and "favorites" was deliberately removed (when it would have made 1000 channels more realistically usable), it remains unclear whether the new "one press, one channel changed" functionality is a bug or intentional. There's been no statement from Roku saying it's a bug, and will be fixed. We could be talking about these things a year from now (just like people still talk about how nice a numeric keypad would be, when there's no suggestion at all that Roku will ever be swayed on that topic, even now when they want us to see 1000 channels -- one button press at a time.).

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
TCL1
Level 8

It is really bad, even when I want to change to just a few channels away.

What I've been doing instead is push the left arrow button to get to the guide, then scroll up or down to my target channel, then press OK.  It's not as convenient, but it does (thankfully) work.

Oldfatguyonabik
Level 7

I am having the same issue. Just started on 01/07/21

Visitor45763
Level 10

@Oldfatguyonabik wrote:

I am having the same issue. Just started on 01/07/21

If you go to home>settings>system>update, it will tell you when the Roku software was last updated. I bet it was that date.

We still don't know if it's considered a bug or a feature. (We never really know with Roku because they do things that seem insane to anyone else. Like ignoring years of customers requesting numeric remote keypad, then adding 1000 streaming channels to antenna tv -- at the same time disabling continuous channel changing. It's almost like they're deliberately messing with us. It's unbelievable they wouldn't see the unworkability of such. And, they removed "favorites" at the same time. The one thing, if you did care to step through 1000+ channels one button push at a time -- to find the few you might like to watch -- that would be feasible to access those channels on a regular basis. It is so bizarre that I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes. It's one of those things that, if someone told me, I'd think they're overblowing it, venting, etc. But, no. It really is like this. It's stunning incompetence or lack of leadership/vision.).

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
dud
Level 7

Same thing happened to me on 1/7. Tons of junk streaming channels, and now changing channels is extremely slow. TCL needs to either roll back the update or fix it.

MyTV70
Level 7

I have the same problem with 1 out of the 4 TVs I have at home, and it happened all of a sudden. Never had an issue with it before till maybe an update, using Netflix mainly, and 400 mbps internet connection.