Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Sharp Roku TV Suddenly Shuts Down During Commercials

Jump to solution
Good evening,

I have a Sharp 50" Roku TV (LC-50LBU591U) that has worked flawlessly for 18 months.

On Saturday, January 4th, 2020, while we were watching the NFL playoffs on Hulu Live TV, the television shut down dueing a commercial break.  It was the first time this had ever happened.

The TV did not start up on its own; it just shut down.

I turned it on to watch the same program, and it shut down again during the next commercial break.  There was no issue when the programming was playing.....just during the commercials.

This problem occurred constantly during both games (One on ABC and the other on CBS).

I tried watching them through the digital antenna I have attached to the TV, and the same thing happened.  So it's not a Hulu issue.  Additionally, programming was uninterrupted on every other device we tried.

Two days later, today, the problem persists, regardless of channel being watched.  It happens on Hulu, the digital antenna, and on other apps we have to watch live TV.  Without fail, the Roku TV shuts down during a commercial break.

The network connection has been reset and its strength is excellent.

I have unplugged the power cord.

I have removed the batteries from the remote.

I have performed a factory reset.

Please advise.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Sharp Roku TV Suddenly Shuts Down During Commercials

Jump to solution

Thanks for the note here. You'll want to contact your Roku TV manufacturer for additional help and support with this type of issue. It sounds like your TV may be experiencing a hardware-related issue as this behavior occurs while using multiple viewing sources on the TV. 

You can locate Sharp's support contact information here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Manufacturer-Support-Warranty-Resources/Contacting-Support-for-Your-Ro...

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

Thanks for the note here. You'll want to contact your Roku TV manufacturer for additional help and support with this type of issue. It sounds like your TV may be experiencing a hardware-related issue as this behavior occurs while using multiple viewing sources on the TV. 

You can locate Sharp's support contact information here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Manufacturer-Support-Warranty-Resources/Contacting-Support-for-Your-Ro...

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue, but with a roku device (not tv) hooked into a non smart tv. It is the "entry level device, but I have 2 more of them and haven't noticed the other 3 with any problems (although usage is minimal and 1 is running thru an av reciever to a projector) The only one I use often is the only one I have had enough constant usage possible to notice it, but it has been consistent now for months and getting worse as more channels seem to be adding to the list. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

"Ro-clue-less" in Ohio

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

My solution to any Roku weirdness that I can't solve by less drastic measures is do a reset to factory default, then let it recreate your account and restore all your channels on that device.  You need Internet and email access when you're doing that.   Otherwise, try swapping a couple of those same models and see whether they all have the same issue.  It might be it's running out of memory?   My oldest Roku is the original Roku Express+ with the red/yellow/white composite video cables, connected to a circa 2009 CRT TV.  And it still runs great.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I’m having the same issue and sharp and Best Buy refuse to help. I’ve gone through all of the trouble shorting methods numerous times and it’s clearly a factory defect. I’ve had my little Sony for over 10 years without a problem. The fact that Sharp keeps replying with this same robotic message is insulting. You have a defective product. You should admit it and fix it after the warranty. You won’t. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Ps- it’s not just commercial, it’s bright images. I noticed that it happened anytime there was an all white screen or a lot of very bright graphics. I changed the setting to dark and turned down the brightness. It happens less but still happens from time to time when the 4K images kick in. The whole point is to watch in 4K and something about the pixels overload the system. Try turning some the brightness and hail g dark mode. It only helps a little. 

0 Kudos