Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ling-streamer
Level 7

Series 3 TCL Roku TV and USB Ethernet

There are some old posts in reference to USB ethernet, but nothing about the more current models. I would like to move my Roku TVs (and Rokus) from the wireless to the wired network to cut some of the traffic on the wifi and hopefully resolve some buffering. My 44" has built in ethernet, but my 28" (28S305) and 32" (32S) do not. A number of older posts indicated that plug and play USB ethernet adapters would work, but nothing lately. The 3 series manual says that USB ethernet will not work. I tried one that I had and it did not work, but was a USB3 device and I thought that might be the cause. Previous posts said the Plugable USB2-E100 worked. Does anyone know whether that is the case for the 3 series from the last year or two. Thanks for your feedback.

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10\
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Series 3 TCL Roku TV and USB Ethernet

I have no idea if it would work with your roku tv but my roku soundbar which was wireless only until 9.4 update, now I can use usb to ethernet adapter the plugable brand and I have wired internet on the soundbar. I just did an experiment with 5 series Roku tv which does have an ethernet port, but I unplugged the ethernet cable, took the usb to ethernet from rthe back of the soundbar and plugged it into usb on the roku tv, no worky. But your's not having ethernet port of its own maybe 9.4 would enable it. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
ling-streamer
Level 7

Thanks. I read that the soundbar was made to work with a USB ethernet adapter. Worst case, I am going to buy one of the Plugable's and try it. I appreciate you doing the experiment.

0 Kudos
ling-streamer
Level 7

To answer my own question, neither TV works with the USB adapter. 

0 Kudos
CEG
Level 8

I am finding the UGreen USB Ethernet adapter works on my Series 3 TCL Roku TV. So far no more than 70 megs down but it works. What it does not do is work again after turning off the TV. It comes up NOT CONNECTED. A restart re-enables it, but that's not at all desirable. Anybody discovered a work around. You can set the power setting to reduce power at 15 minutes, which really only turns off the monitor. That way adapter stays connected but this consumes power and is not really standby.

0 Kudos
ling-streamer
Level 7

Thanks for sharing. My 28" is quite a disappointment in general. It reset twice this morning and there has been a lot of lag with the remote for the past year. And yes, I have gone through all of the troubleshooting steps here and anywhere else I could find. 70M down would be plenty, but I don't want to fool with resetting/replugging/etc. It would be great if Roku could address this with an update. Please share which model you are using. I sent the Pluggable back. FWIW, moving most of my streamers off the wifi to the MOCA has made a noticeable difference in reducing lag.

0 Kudos
CEG
Level 8

It's the 2020 TCL series 3 32 inch 32S331.  It's a decent TV for the 108.00 I spent at Walmart. If it had cost as much as 150.00 I would be less happy. The viewing angles fade to colorless and washed out and I've decided the 1 x 1 AC WiFi is just trash. Over 2.4 GHz I am seeing good to excellent and a whopping 8 megs down. 5 GHz is only fair but is about 34 megs. I tested the UGreen USB Ethernet adapter in another setup and got the expected 100 down. It's about 66 megs on this TV (when the TV decides to be connected). I have two set top boxes connected, so the Roku function is not primary. I've owned many Ultras over the years and the Roku tech in this TV is about on par with Roku stick.

I don't want to sound too negative, because I'm basically happy with my purchase and am being bluntly honest. Not getting one with built in Ethernet was a mistake and this is not a primary use set.

0 Kudos
ling-streamer
Level 7

Actually, I meant which UGREEN adapter. Should have been more clear.

0 Kudos
CEG
Level 8

Description on Amazon

UGREEN Ethernet Adapter USB 2.0 to 10 100 Network RJ45 LAN Wired Adapter Compatible for Nintendo Switch Wii Wii U MacBook Chromebook Windows Mac OS Surface Linux ASIX AX88772 Chipset Black

0 Kudos
Kevin18
Level 7

Get a 3.0 adapter they are backwards compatible with 2.0 if you have 3.0 usb port and get a 2.0 adapter you will not get full speed potential.

0 Kudos