Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PenguinCS

Roku Ultra with an older HD plasma TV with 1080i resolution

Just more of an FYI: I have a Kuro 5080HD (2008) with a Pioneer receiver from (~2010). I have my 4k Roku Stick set ‘manual’ to output 1080p (the TV is 768p), but ‘auto’ works as well. 

I have stick connected to a “free” HDMI input and can turn on the TV without the receiver. Absolutely no issues with whatever content I am watching.

My only potential head scratcher is to slowly upgrade the whole system starting with audio (Atmos + speakers) and a new receiver, then do the TV last - 90% of my video content is regular TV at 720p/1080i.

Hopefully I can do the same - watch TV without the receiver on.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1

Re: Roku Ultra with an older HD plasma TV with 1080i resolution

I think my trouble is very different but I need to put this one out there. I have about a 2015 Panasonic Plasma. The last model. Ever. I also have a really nice Denin Surround sound system with atmos. With Blu Rays it's fantastic. With Roku, I'm pissed. I bought an ATMOS "Sampler" on VUDU that is 1080P. But, it outputs Dolby Atmos flawlessly. I contacted Roku tech guys and they told me it's impossible to get ATMOS and 1080P no matter what setup you use. Really? So Wendy through all the details and convinced him I DO get ATMOS with 1080P From VUDU within ROKU. So I asked him how do I get other 1080P programs to output ATMOS. (BTW. When I watch the ATMOS sampler, it says in Vudu I'm getting Dolby + +, but my Denon says I'm receiving ATMOS. And my ears say I have all AMTOS speakers working as they should.) 

He told me, buy a 4K TV. Ooooh was I pissed off. My Plasma rivals 4k OLED TVs. Buy a new TV just to get ROKU to do WHAT IT SHOULD DO. 

In fact, it does do what I want, but only on Vudu's ATMOS sampler. All ROKU has to do is check a box to automatically send ATMOS the way they do for 4K stuff. 

Besides, why would I want all that extra bandwidth just for a tiny amount of data in the ATMOS feed? 

This is quite frustrating. I'm willing to go with a different platform if need be. I'm very sick of what is happening with ALL customer service nowadays. I was buying used Blu Ray's from Red Box but the too away the machines. The machine at Walmart doesn't sell disc's because they also sell discs. 

Any help from anyone would be great.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.