Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bschenk
Level 7

Roku TV says it is not connected to the internet, but it is

Jump to solution
Hi,

I have a TCL Roku TV that is 25 months old.  For about the last 6 months I have lived with an issue that I would like to resolve.  When I press enter on a channel (Netflix for example), I almost always get an error that says my roku is not on the internet and tells me to check my connection, but it gives me an option to proceed anyway and open the app.  When I press proceed anyway, the app opens and the internet works.  I do notice that on startup the TV says not connected for longer than I would expect, but it eventually goes away.  i assume when it goes away that confirms its either on the WiFi OR the internet (I'm not sure which).

The TV does sit a fair distance away from my router so I brought it right next to the router, but the issue persists.  When I do a check connection I get a green check for WiFi connection and then a red X for internet, but if i wait a bit, it then turns into a green check and a dialog comes up telling me to investigate my internet connection.

My internet provider is Mediacom in the Cedar Rapids, IA area.  The internet is fine as all my other devices can get outside my house at fast speeds (120+ Mbps).  This issue is very annoying as the TV is on the internet, it just doesn't seem to know.  It's an annoying issue that needs to be resolved.  Please let me know if you are experiencing this issue as well or if there is a known solution.  Thank you!

Brent
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bschenk
Level 7

Re: Roku TV says it is not connected to the internet, but it is

Jump to solution

Just to follow up on this issue.  I purchased another roku tv (Hitachi) this time with the expectation that it was the TV's wifi card.  The new TV did the same thing.  So I determined (or assumed) the TVs were both find and I needed to chase the issue elsewhere.  My internet setup was an Asus wifi router (a nice one) plugged into a cable modem that had the internal wifi router disabled.  All other devices worked on thsi setup just fine.  I called my internet provider and asked them to enable the router inside my cable modem.  When i connected the TVs to the cable modem's wifi the issue went away.  Because it went away, I associated the issue to a firmware update in the router and i didn't want to chase it.  Instead I turned the router into a wifi access point and exclusively connect my computer to it on its own channel with no issue and the TVs are now all on the cable modem's wifi router with no issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
cj058
Level 7

Jump to solution

Having a similar issue in San Diego, CA. Roku connects to the wifi, but says in can not connect to the internet. All my other devices work fine. error code 016, will not connect when I press proceed anyway.

0 Kudos
bschenk
Level 7

Jump to solution

Just to follow up on this issue.  I purchased another roku tv (Hitachi) this time with the expectation that it was the TV's wifi card.  The new TV did the same thing.  So I determined (or assumed) the TVs were both find and I needed to chase the issue elsewhere.  My internet setup was an Asus wifi router (a nice one) plugged into a cable modem that had the internal wifi router disabled.  All other devices worked on thsi setup just fine.  I called my internet provider and asked them to enable the router inside my cable modem.  When i connected the TVs to the cable modem's wifi the issue went away.  Because it went away, I associated the issue to a firmware update in the router and i didn't want to chase it.  Instead I turned the router into a wifi access point and exclusively connect my computer to it on its own channel with no issue and the TVs are now all on the cable modem's wifi router with no issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos