Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku TV TCL is connected to my mac but shows up as "No Signal" by the TV

I'm having a problem with my Roku TV TCL (model - 55US57).

I am currently using a MacBook Pro that is connected to my TCL with an HDMI cord. However, when I connect the two, the tv can be seen on my computer but I can't see the video on the tv. When I check my System Preferences -> Displays, it recognizes that the laptop is connected to a TV through HDMI. I am able to mess with the settings and send windows to the other screen. But the TV only shows the HDMI icon, "HDMI 2", "Moving mountains", and "No signal (is it on?)". Also, the tv constantly goes dark as if it was trying to switch perspective, while the laptop goes dark only once when plugging the HDMI cord into the port.

How do I make it so the Roku TV actually acts as a second screen for my mac?

update: now it is flashing the second screen on the tv, but only for a mini-second. Then it returns either to a dark screen or "No Signal" screen.

update 2: After 10 minutes of continuous flashing... It finally worked. What. I just left the HDMI cord in for the whole duration.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
atc98092
Level 15

Re: Roku TV TCL is connected to my mac but shows up as "No Signal" by the TV

I've noticed that if I bump my HDMI cable on my computer I might lose the connection. It had nothing to do with the TV, it's the cable that isn't the best. Plus, at 4K 30 resolution, I'm not using a certified cable so that might be an issue as well. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Renaming the input to "Computer" may also help -- that will put the input into RGB mode instead of YUV and could help with recognizing the signal from the Mac earlier.
0 Kudos
tanfedora
Level 7

I had a similar issue with my sharp Roku TV not recognizing the PC signal. I did a refresh on the input name deleting computer and then re-entering a new template for computer. I also went to settings and then to system update and updated the system. The system update was completed within the TV itself, and when it was done the monitor came back on with the PC. Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
Allan_Staib
Level 7

Hi,  I’m having the same issue with a new TCL 4K Tv and a Dell Inspirion 27 desktop.  The computer sees the TV as a second monitor but the TV shows the “no signal” message. I bought a high end 4K HDMI cable.  I did try to set it up as a computer and that hasn’t worked.  Also moved to another TV HDMI input.  Also no help.  

any ideas will be much appreciated!

Allan

0 Kudos
Allan_Staib
Level 7

Turns out that selecting HDMI std 2.0 instead of auto select in settings fixes this problem.
0 Kudos