Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
givitumee
Level 8

Roku TV - OTA live tv USB features broken after latest software update

I have a TCL 55R617 Roku tv and have been using the USB drive feature to pause/rewind/fast-forward live tv for the past 12 months with no issues. However very recently this feature broke and it seems to correspond to the last software update. Now I can only pause, I can no longer fast forward or rewind like I could before. This is quite frustrating as I'm never able to catch up to live tv. In fact, when I press fast forward it actually jumps back to the beginning of the recording so I lose the place I was previously! I really believe a software update was pushed that caused this bug because it was working before perfectly. I have tried multiple working USB drives and even purchased a brand new one just to be sure, so it's got to be a recent software problem that was introduced via this last update.

Update:

To help demonstrate the issue, I have recorded a video you can see the problem in action here: https://youtu.be/r1S7gnpXt7k. I have also done a little more troubleshooting this morning which you can see in that video. It turns out, this is only a problem for HD channels (720p or 1080i) from the OTA coax antenna. When I tuned into an SD channel (480i) I do NOT experience the problem. So I have isolated the problem to HD channels. I also did a hard factory reset my TV (had to set everything back up) and still run into the problem.

Here is my system and software version information:

Roku TV: 7120X

TCL Model: 55R617

Software Version: 9.2.0 build 4501-30

0 Kudos
6 Replies
givitumee
Level 8

Re: Roku TV - OTA live tv USB features broken after latest software update

Hello anyone? It would be great to at least hear some feedback if anyone else is experiencing this issue or if it's just me. 

It's very apparent to me that this was caused by the 9.2.0 software update pushed to the TV last month, but haven't heard if anyone else has reproduced it.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for reaching out here.

Have you contacted your Roku TV manufacturer to report the issue and request support? You can locate their contact information here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Manufacturer-Support-Warranty-Resources/Contacting-Support-for-Your-Ro...

I'll pass your feedback along to the team, and follow up directly if there are any other questions. I'd recommend following up with your TV manufacturer and request they investigate the issue as well. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
blade_005
Level 12

@givitumee 

Roku TV: 7103X

TCL Model: 55P605

Software: 9.2.0 build 4501-30

Tested out 720p and 1080i OTA channels and did not see the behavior you described in your original post. I don't use the feature that much so I am not sure if one or two quick tests on various channels is enough of a sample size.

TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
givitumee
Level 8

@blade_005 Thank you! The only difference is my software version is presumably slightly newer: 9.2.0 build 4502-30. Roku doesn't seem to document historical build-specific release dates or details anywhere I could find. Also as you mentioned the TV models are different of course, but same manufacturer.

@RokuTannerD I have spoken to TCL and they haven't been much help. They want to send in a technician to "repair the tv". I'm a software developer myself and I can smell a software bug vs a hardware issue... especially since this issue is only affecting HD channels (720p and 1080i) and SD channels are unaffected.  Is there a way for me to simply temporarily downgrade my Software to 9.1 to verify the feature still works on the old version of the OS? This would be the easiest way to prove this is a bug introduced in 9.2.0, which given the timing seems too coincidental not to be. 

0 Kudos
kmac3
Level 7

I'm experiencing this issue too, but only when the recording time is maxed out. I can fast forward before recording time is maxed out.

0 Kudos
givitumee
Level 8

Update: I went so far as to have a TCL technician visit and replace the entire main board on my TV just to further eliminate this being some sort of possible hardware issue, which I knew it was not. That obviously did not resolve the problem whatsoever.

All signs continue to point to this being a Software Bug that was introduced by Roku in the 9.2.0 update, since it was working fine prior to that  (not sure how many times I have to repeat that as evidence it's a software issue). I've learned that there is no way Roku provides you the ability to temporarily downgrade your software, this ability would be extremely helpful to further prove the defect.

Does anyone know if there is at least a way for us customers to report these kind of field defects to the development team at Roku? I am totally running into barriers trying to get their customer service to do this for me. I'm simply hoping to submit this defect so that it can be triaged for an upcoming future patch.

0 Kudos