Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Atreties
Level 8

Roku TV - No Option/Setting to Use Optical Audio?

Jump to solution
Trying to get my Roku TV (50S425) to work with my Yamaha AVR. Only option on the receiver is optical, no HDMI port exists. Nothing will get the sound to actually play thru the AVR speakers.

Both devices turned on

Cable works, can see red light

Receiver is set to the correct input setting

Receiver and speaker does actually work, have confirmed using Bluetooth 

SPDIF/ARC setting set to Dolby Digital (tried all of these settings, none worked)

TV speakers set to off

No idea what else to try. I see no setting anywhere to actually select optical audio on the TV - in selecting TV speakers to Off, I see no other speakers to select, so I'm guessing that's the issue somehow. In researching this, I've seen many reports of people getting the optical audio to work, but no one describes how they actually got this accomplished.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Atreties
Level 8

Re: Roku TV - No Option/Setting to Use Optical Audio?

Jump to solution
Issue resolved.

Problem was in the optical cable. Even though i could see light thru the cable, it must have been damaged somehow. Damaged cables usually emit intermittent signal, but mine gave nothing at all. If you have a similar situation and everything seems like it should work, try replacing the cable.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Jump to solution
I know that I'm my AVR, if you have audio coming into the optical input and the video coming into an HDMI port, you need to tell the AVR where to pull the audio from in that HDMI port's setting..See if you can find that setting and change it.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Atreties
Level 8

Jump to solution
"jeffrok" wrote:
I know that I'm my AVR, if you have audio coming into the optical input and the video coming into an HDMI port, you need to tell the AVR where to pull the audio from in that HDMI port's setting..See if you can find that setting and change it.

This is for optical audio. No HDMI is involved. No HDMI is plugged into the AVR. No HDMI port even exists for the AVR.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

Jump to solution
Hmm, what is the model of the AVR?

Remember that the Roku doesn't support Dolby Digital, only Dolby Digital Plus, and DD+ can only be passed thru HDMI. Make sure your Roku is set to stereo/PCM (sorry, I don't have the exact setting in front of me as I'm at work) not DD+, because I'm guessing if your AVR has not HDMI that it doesn't support DD+.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Atreties
Level 8

Jump to solution
"jeffrok" wrote:
Hmm, what is the model of the AVR?

Remember that the Roku doesn't support Dolby Digital, only Dolby Digital Plus, and DD+ can only be passed thru HDMI. Make sure your Roku is set to stereo/PCM (sorry, I don't have the exact setting in front of me as I'm at work) not DD+, because I'm guessing if your AVR has not HDMI that it doesn't support DD+.

Yamaha RX-V361. Again, tried all of the DD settings. I have it set at basic DD (not +) atm, but PCM Stereo also does not work.

The base question remains, tho. Is there no setting to actually select optical audio? Every video tutorial on this that i've seen indicates to find where to change from TV speakers to a variety of options of external audio, with optical being one of them. I see none of that with the Roku TV.
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 10

Jump to solution
Have you ever used an optical connection before? I ask because I know the first time I connected something using an optical cable I got nothing and it turned out I wasn't inserting the cable far enough. I believe it's normal for the optical output to always be active on any TV. Does the optical output port on the TV glow red? If so, with the cable inserted into the TV does the opposite end glow red?

-JT
0 Kudos
Atreties
Level 8

Jump to solution
I appreciate the attempts to assist guys, but please read the OP:

Cable works, can see red light

That said, no, I have not used an optical cable before. If It needs to go in any further, I don't see how it could go anymore. It seems to be as deep as it can go on both sides.
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

Jump to solution
I assume you are connecting an optical port on the TV to an optical port on the receiver. Are you sure the port on the TV is an output port? It may be an input for other devices that are connected to the TV.

I have never had a Roku TV so I do not know what outputs are available in general but I do know that I have had a TV with an optical input but no optical output.

Another thing to check is, if it is an output, it may need to be turned on. That kind of thing is often found in the advanced settings. You can tell if the port is at least basically functional by looking at the port, there may be a cap on the port that you need to press aside, while the TV is active. It should emit a low red glow. Optical operates in the visible spectrum so you can see it in basic operation.

The cable should click into place when inserted correctly.

One final thing many optical cables ship with protective caps on the ends. Be sure yours does not have such when you try to use them.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
Atreties
Level 8

Jump to solution
Optical output from TV into the optical input on the AVR, yes.

Red light glowing from TV optical output, yes.

Once plugged in to the TV, the other end of the cable glows red.

I appreciate mentioning the possibility of a cap, that seems to be a common issue that's infrequently answered for other people, having gone thru many threads while researching this... that said -  no, the cap is not on.

Cable clicks into place on both the TV and the AVR, yes.
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

Jump to solution
"Atreties" wrote:
Optical output from TV into the optical input on the AVR, yes.

Red light glowing from TV optical output, yes.

Once plugged in to the TV, the other end of the cable glows red.

I appreciate mentioning the possibility of a cap, that seems to be a common issue that's infrequently answered for other people, having gone thru many threads while researching this... that said -  no, the cap is not on.

Cable clicks into place on both the TV and the AVR, yes.

Are you sure the optical on the TV is an output? Optical ports should glow red no matter if they are input or output. That also means that the input on your receiver should be glowing. Also to restate: check the TV menus to be sure that the optical port is turned on. That type of setting is often in advanced or kind of hidden in unlikely places in the menu structure.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos