Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LOVELY38

Re: Roku TCL TV insanely dim/dark screen

Jump to solution

@Pert_J 

Press * on your remote

Scroll down to PICTURE SETTINGS, then press ok to open

Press right arrow to place tv on Movie mode.

Your color should restored to normal. There are also finer adjustments you can make a that time if u so choose.

picture directions below.

IMG_1026.PNG

IMG_1027.PNG

Hope this helps!!

Woodstock

Jump to solution

Bought a new ROKU ULTRA a week ago- super dark picture. Tried ALL suggestions- unplug, reset, new cable, nothing worked. Called Roku - nothing they suggested worked. It hit me an hour ago- I used MY REMOTE FROM MY TV - not Roku. I pressed Source, Menu and opened up Picture . I lightened brightness, picture, contrast- all of them. Everything is PERFECT.

0 Kudos
Shellybo1
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku TCL TV insanelysame dim/dark screen

Jump to solution

Turning on captions lightens screen 📺 and turning them back off makes the screen dim. Very annoying- I just try to ignore the captions at the bottom of the screen.

LOHENGRIN56
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This is also an issue with Apple TV. It is all a massive con which is being abetted by reviewers on the internet. Try options to brighten the screen - only volume levelling is offered. Nobody at Roku or Apple is willing to talk about this. The basic Google Chromecast using a good tablet or phone is infinitely cheaper and so much better. I have all three machines and have done direct comparisons of segments from the same platforms - plenty of time in Lockdown. Don’t be put off by Roku telling you there is something wrong with your internet connection or your tv. This is nonsense - my connection is super fast and my tv is 4K top of the range. I am afraid we have been had. 

LoriK
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This has been happening intermittently for me over the past two months.  Sometimes I will be in the middle of watching something on DVD, sometimes I'll be in an application channel, or sometimes I will navigate home and not take immediate action for more than 5 minutes.

The experience is that the screen dims almost to black (not quite) but is so dark that I cannot see to navigate to system info or to see any help screens.  Often when I try to power down, the system does NOT actually power down completely (based  the red light indicator at the bottom of the set).  I have left it this way for 30 minutes before powering back up, and still see the super dim screen.

Sometimes if I leave it for several hours and come back, it will power up with full visibility on the screen.  Other times I have had to manually disconnect the power cord, leave it for 30 minutes, and plug it back in.

Originally I thought this might have been due to the system looking for system updates or applying them, but when this happened LAST NIGHT (while using hdmi cable connected through blueray port to stream a movie from my laptop -- screen when dark 3 times while still playing audio -- SUPER annoying), when I finally got to the system info screen to look at the last system scan, it had been 12 hours earlier.

System details:  ROKU TV 5121X; TCL MODEL 40FS3750; Software version 9.4.0 build 4200-08; Last Updated Dec 12 10:35 pm

0 Kudos
LoriK
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

followup -- I have reported this issue to support.tcl.com/us

0 Kudos
BBTV2020

Jump to solution

Ours has been getting darker for months. This morning, it's completely dark. Tried unplugging for 5min, as seemed to fix for some folks - didn't work for us. Can't even attempt to change settings because nothing is visible on the screen (we did try earlier when it started getting darker, but it didn't help). 

0 Kudos
Behemoth2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My tv just got dark also for no reason. It works just fine while first turning it on then will just go dark. 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Behemoth2

Thanks for the post.

This may be related to a hardware issue. Have you tried contacting TCL support yet to inquire further? I'd suggest starting there to see what options or suggestions they can provide. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support for their products running the Roku OS. 

You can reach them here: https://support.tclusa.com/televisions or at 1-877-300-8837.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
kflotx

Jump to solution

Thank you!! That worked 👏👏👏

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.