cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Power TV on and off with RC392 Remote with Roku Soundbar

Jump to solution

Yesterday I setup a new Roku Soundbar connected to my old 40 inch Samsung TV from the mid-2000s. Everything is working except the power button on the provide RC392 remote does not turn my TV on or off. I have to use the TV's remote to control the TV power.  

I tried to follow the instructions to setup my TV on the RC392 (referred to as Enhanced Remote). After turning the TV on with the TV remote, using the RC392 I went to Settings > System > Remotes and Devices > Remote (In Use). The only thing I can see is information about the remote (that is how I learned it is the RC392).

How can I setup the RC392 remote that came with my Roku Soundbar so it will turn the TV on and off? Everything else with the soundbar seems to be working great. I look forward to your response.

Image of the remote:

Roku_RC392_Remote.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Power TV on and off with RC392 Remote with Roku Soundbar

Jump to solution

Try re-pairing the remote to the soundbar and see if the tv control shows up in the menu? 

Edmund

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution

Try re-pairing the remote to the soundbar and see if the tv control shows up in the menu? 

Edmund

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thank you for your help. I re-paired the remote and the power button started working. I guess I missed a step during the original setup. Thank you for the quick response.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Re pairing did not fix this issue for me.

I just purchased a Roku Soundbar. How can I get the remote to control the power on my RCA TV? There are no settings for setting up a TV with the Soundbar like there are with my Roku Ultra. I just want the remote to control power on the TV as the volume buttons should control the Soundbar, which they currently do. The Power button does nothing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I noticed on my old Samsung TV, I have to wait a few seconds for the TV to come on after pressing the power button on the remote. I also have to press the power button twice to turn off the soundbar and the TV.

Now that Spectrum has a great Roku channel, it is really nice having everything controlled by one remote. We are going to turn in our Spectrum cable box and save $9 a month...which will pay for the soundbar in about a year and a half.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution

The roku soundbar remote doesn't send tv power command via IR, it uses hdmi-cec to switch on & off the tv.  The reason there isn't way to program the tv brand in is that all tv's no matter what brand respond to the same ON & OFF signal delivered over the hdmi cable by cec. So for the tv power key to work your tv has to have hdmi-cec, you brand might call it something else.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Some Roku remotes do offer infrared (IR). The RC392 that came with my Roku Soundbar uses infrared (IR) to turn the TV on and off.

https://support.roku.com/article/360004813993-how-do-i-resolve-problems-with-my-roku-ir-infrared-rem... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution

Yes, the rc-al7 remote has the capability of controlling tv's by IR, but when the remote is paired to the roku soundbar, and the soundbar is set up for hdmi-cec with tv its attached to, it sends tv power command over hdmi cable to the tv. In your soundbar settings, do you see a way to enter a tv brand?

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

No, there is no place in the Soundbar settings to choose a TV brand. It is a RC-AL7 model remote

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

During the initial setup the instructions said to connect the HDMI cable to an ARC port on the TV. I did that but the setup routine complained that there was a problem. I could not find a setting in the TV setup to turn this on at the time. Since then I did find the ARC setting and have enabled. it. I am wondering if I should do a factory reset on the Soundbar and start over. Although this RCA TV seems to support ARC, I am not sure about CEC

0 Kudos