Discussions

Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Onn. Roku Sound bar, Speakers and Subwoofer set up, 3.1, 4.1 or 5.1 possibilities?

Jump to solution

Hi all,

Well I bought the whole onn. roku smart soundbar, wireless speakers and wireless subwoofer. I'm happy with it, but curiosity struck me.

My question: Is it possible to change the setup or positioning of the speakers? Let's say right now I believe it is 4.1. Would it be possible to set it up to be 3.1? Meaning to the sound bar as center channel and wireless speakers as left and right.

I also would like to know if it's possible to connect another pair of speakers? What are the limitations of the system?  

At this point, it is clear what could be my intention but I believe the system does not let users set the channel or position of the speakers connected. It could be very convenient to have the soundbar as center channel get two pairs of speakers, one pair as front L/R and one pair as surround, having a full blast 5.1 all wireless. 

Thanks for any replies.

Horacio

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Onn. Roku Sound bar, Speakers and Subwoofer

Jump to solution

@HoracioPrz @TWGNYC 

Thanks for the inquiry.

If you already have the Roku Smart Soundbar and the Roku TV Wireless Speaker, you will not be able to add an additional pair of Roku TV speakers to your setup.

For more information about the setup for the Roku Soundbar and Roku Speakers, visit our Support page here: How do I set up my Roku® wireless speakers?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I have had the same question for several weeks now and have searched everywhere trying to find an answer. Thank you for posting.... it seems to me there are no limitations to what they can do via firmware: make a true 5.1 with the soundbar as the center or even dolby atmos.... my fingers are crossed.... and PS your idea for a 3.1 is solid and would really help the sound quality. The sound bar's lack of tweeters really hurts the otherwise solid sound.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

How long does it typically take to get a Roku rep to reply and provide some info? Is it in Roku's plans to expand their speaker options for surround sound, and if so, what/when can we expect? 2 more speakers for 5.1? 6 more speakers to get to 5.1.4? Etc....

This is important for me, and I'm sure many others, who would like to know this info before we invest in the existing surround sound setup.

Thanks and much appreciated. 

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Yeah, not having input from Roku's team kinda sucks.

There's the expectation from us, the possibility to spend more money on their products but after reading this forum the answers always are copy paste and reps basically look like bots that do not give any insight about the products, don't respond some kind questions even when we already got or about to get more of their stuff.

I'm still happy with my system, I just wanted to expand it and I don't see the issue to do so, but I ignore some variables like the electronics, controllers and hardware, firmware or config necessary to add new features, and that's where Rokus team would be good to clear things up to the community. 

Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@HoracioPrz @TWGNYC 

Thanks for the inquiry.

If you already have the Roku Smart Soundbar and the Roku TV Wireless Speaker, you will not be able to add an additional pair of Roku TV speakers to your setup.

For more information about the setup for the Roku Soundbar and Roku Speakers, visit our Support page here: How do I set up my Roku® wireless speakers?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks Danny, but you are not answering the question. We know what is possible right now. We are asking if there are plans to upgrade the system's capabilities in the future to facilitate these functions, as they are obvious holes in the current paradigm. Please advise.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Also, one of the follow on questions was skipped over.... can you set up two pairs of roku wireless speakers yet? (I know in the past this was not possible, but I am hoping there has been an update). Thanks!

Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Smart Soundbar 5.1 Audio?

Jump to solution

I am looking at ditching my current soundbar setup and going with the Roku Smart Soundbar with the wireless rear speakers and subwoofer.  How does Roku get to 5.1 chanel audio?  Can I also add two wireless speakers to the front as well and use the soundbar as the center channel to achieve real 5.1 surround sound?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

This.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Yeah, it is unlikely they will implement such feature, like adding more speakers (spending more money) would be a bad idea for them.

Still, I saw that if enough people comment and support the idea, roku devs would consider it and maybe add it in a future firmware update, like @mcgooze 's post 

https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussions/Roku-Wireless-Speakers-in-Surround-setup-with-Roku-soundba...

It looks like that in the coming 9.4 patch they will enable to adjust volume for the wireless speakers apart of the main sound bar volume.

Maybe, if there are enough posts and comments about adding the feature (add 2 pairs of wireless speakers to a sound bar and subwoofer) will create a discrete true 5.1 surround sound, being the sound bar the center channel.