Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: No more antenna favorites for channels

Yes Roku - very bad design decision.  All of a sudden channel 8.1 disappeared on me.  I thought the signal dropped and had to rescan channels or my anteannae was bad.  Its one thing to auto-favorite a channel, but don't remove it from the normal place a user finds it.  Keep it in both places.

The auto-favoriting was deffinitely not a help.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

I personally don't like channel guides unless I want to search for a show.

I wish there was an option to disable this Darn Smart Guide.
Now when I click the left button I have to see this Smart Guide and all I want to see is a Channel List like before.

It was wonderful before when, apart from Editing the Channel Line-up I could also have my selected Favorites to Channel Surf Quickly the few channels that I really Watch.

I would trade this New Smart Guide for Manual Favorites any day.

ROKU, Please Give us Back our Manual Selection of Favorites. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku,
  I agree with the others about how you are handling the favorites for the Roku TV Antenna function is not user friendly at all.
  I would prefer to be able to select which channels I would like to show up in the favorites section than have some them selected automatically by what seems to be a secret algorithm.  I have been leaving the TV on a channel I would like to add to the favorites list whenever I am away from the TV for the last 2 days and it still has not been added to the favorites.
  Also being a retired programmer/DBA, it would seem to me that it would also require less code and resources than trying to keep track of how often a channel is accessed to determine if a channel should be added to the favorites list.
  Plus it would satisfy many of your customers.  
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

1. Go to Settings and select TV inputs
2. Select Antenna TV and select Favorite channels
Now go ahead and disable the feature.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Am I the only one who misses a numeric keypad? Was excited to set up my new Roku TV today (nice door prize) and have been amazed that scrolling is the only way to change channels! Is this a message from Roku? "We grudgingly offer you free antenna TV, but we're not going to make it easy for you. We needed the architecture used for 'favorites' for other purposes. You should be paying for TV and you know it." I'm so disappointed by the inability to choose favorites and/or simply hit a button on a keypad that I'm thinking of giving this TV away. Too bad. Nice reception...Bubba's Mom
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"bubbas-mom" wrote:
Am I the only one who misses a numeric keypad?

No, you're not the only one. I realize that keeping the remote simple is better for the bottom-line, it does make it more difficult for the user who watches antenna channels. Perhaps it has to do with not having to have a conventional tuner in the TV itself? Even if this is the case, it shouldn't be difficult to have some sort of software interface that would make inputting channel numbers a simple task.

While I never had a Roku TV that had a software version where I could choose my own favorite channels, it does seem like a no-brainer to be able to do this oneself. I can't fathom why this is not in the design. Now if Roku's algorithms actually got close to showing my favorite channels, it wouldn't be so bad. However, my Roku-provided favorites haven't kept up with the channels that I watch often. My interface shows that I have about 8 favorites, and that just isn't an accurate reflection of channels I go to most of the time. It seems stuck on these ~8 channels, and isn't adding more. So when I want to watch another channel, I enter a rather onerous scrolling mode to get to the channel I want. Then if I want to jump back to the previous, I have to go through it again, as I find no "jump/previous channel" button anywhere.

So last night I went through the 195 channels and removed roughly 170 of them. I also disabled the "Favorite Channels" feature, as it wasn't working very well for me. It's better now, but a number pad would be nice. Maybe get rid of a couple of those "Netfix" "Hulu" buttons and provide the number pad? After all, Netflix is competition for Roku, not a partner. And, the buttons are a prominent part of the screen interface anyway. I do understand that this might be a TCL issue. Still, they should work with the company that is the main reason I bought the TCL, Roku, to make a better product for their consumers. As a stockholder in Roku, I would like to see them succeed. And in order to do so, they must listen to their consumers when they mention specific shortcomings so consistently, and with overwhelming consensus. Good luck.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

There is one workaround for a numeric keypad. The Roku app, available for both iOS and Android, has both a numeric pad function, as well as a keyboard for entering login information on channels that need it. Not ideal, but at least it's something...
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

TOTALLY FRUSTRATING!!   Was thinking of buying another big screen for Christmas but won't now.  Have a 65" and am so upset!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Omg ,that was so much helo...
0 Kudos
Level 7

I just setup my new Roku ultra.........There is no access to my antenna channels from the Roku Ultra.

This is my 4th Roku.  The reason for no antenna access is the same reason there's no ore "VUDA" key on the remote.  and that is because no big business was willing to pay for it.  All the quick channel keys are now subscription required keys.  (SOLD OUT)

0 Kudos