Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Location help with Roku TV

I have a fairly new TCL Roku TV.  Everything is fine except that it thinks that I'm in Iowa! I bought it at Best Buy in Southern Illinois and have it in Missouri. I've entered my zip code in the settings but, am constantly seeing ads from Big Bend, Iowa. I'm not interested in their stuff and would rather see my local St. Louis ads if I have to watch them at all. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

qRe: Location help.

It may be that the IP to which your internet provider connects you is one identified with a Big Bend location. If so, talk to your internet provider.  There are a number of sites you can use to determine the location associated with your IP -- here's one of them: https://www.iplocation.net/

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: Location help.

I have run into a similar situation -- the servers associated with my IP are located about 40 miles south of where I live, and are in another state.

I've noticed that some apps are apparently using the IP address to 'personalize' my ads.

Roku 3500X
Roku 4400X
Roku 4661X
0 Kudos