Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moat
Streaming Star

Latest channel guide "update" = VERY user UNfriendly... 🧐

There has been a change in the Roku channel guide "pushed through" in the past few days that is very much so - and quite obviously - a significant, obnoxious backward step in usability;

When watching "Live TV", each and every time the channel guide is opened (left < click), the guide opens to the far left "categories" column.

This is a change from the previous and correct action of the guide always opening (i.e.; the white cursor highlight being) on the channel currently being watched, and is now entirely frustrating and counterintuitive in comparison.

If a person opens the channel guide, the vast majority of the time the obvious intention is to scroll up & down through the guide's channels and program descriptions - the primary purpose of the guide in the first place. But with this most recent change, every time the guide is opened, two additional "clicks" - in the opposite > direction, no less - must be accomplished in order to even access that primary function. Not good! 🤨

The simple and obvious fix is a return to the previous default behavior of always opening (white highlight) on the channel currently being viewed. That simple.

do see that at least our last category selection is being honored apon opening the guide, finally (after, what - two years of user complaints?), but the implementation is simply waay all wrong.

That, and some other bugs re; the menu highlight jumping around haphazardly while scrolling thru future programs appears to have been at least partially (??) addressed. But, still - one step forward, two steps back. Again. And again. And...

We owners of these Roku products are not beta testers, nor should we be considered so. Where in the h3ll's the development QA/QC in regard to these changes??

TCL 43S431 - C133X

Software v12.0.0 • build 4182-93

33 REPLIES 33
robot-boy
Binge Watcher

Re: Latest channel guide "update" = VERY user UNfriendly... 🧐

I agree with you. I am annoyed by this change that should have been an option and not forced on me.

There is no spoon.
Wagthedog

Recent channels no longer even SHOWS my recent channel watched. Hmmmmm....  and YES having to go to all channels ..... then scroll to the channel I'm ACTUALLY watching to see the guide is a joke.  I assume this is just a mistake.  No body would just intentionally throw away customers... Would they??

Epehooray

Thank you for posting this.

I thought that I had somehow changed it to always showing recents. I just wasted 30 minutes trying to search/figure out how to change it back!

Why have a channel guide if it doesn’t show all the channels!

Terrible update Roku!

Curtis_C_Flush
Reel Rookie

My first post here due to this HORRIBLE programming design with this update

Between not being able to direct input a channel, have to buy a pro remote to use voice commands. Now this ass backwards menu update I am no longer going to purchase any ROKU products.  You ROKU engineers I just dont get what your doing.

Seriously really seriously WTF is wrong with you folks? 

I will be making a video to better explain myself and show other to stay away from ROKU TV

My TV went from not too happy with it to bring it out back and shoot it

SERIOUSLY????  Please fix it

fs54
Reel Rookie

I'm hoping it's either a mistake or temporary as well. I've never been so frustrated navigating any channel guide. I was relieved to see I'm not alone on this in the very short time the guide format has changed!

Maybe an option for the "classic version" could be offered. I think they would be very surprised at the results.

Moat
Streaming Star

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree (and hope!) with everyone here that the issue must be due to an error of some sort, as I cannot fathom that this ridiculously bad UI change was somehow intentional. Let's hope for the best - that it's identified and fixed ASAP.

Really, really frustrating and disappointing that a company the size of Roku - with such considerable re$ource$ of money and personnel - continues to push out these obviously, fundamentally flawed UI changes, and there's not a dang thing we customers can really do but come here and complain (at times, seemingly to a wall).

😕

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community users,
Thanks for keeping us posted in the Roku Community!

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue, but we will need more details. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version or build is it? (This can be found by selecting the channel on the home screen and pressing the * button.)
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Moat
Streaming Star

@RokuJohnB- If you had taken the time to have actually read the post(s), you would have seen that the required information has already been given (the "Tracker ID when this issue occurs" being utterly irrelevant, because as has already been pointed out; it occurs always - i.e.; whenever the TV is "on" and the "Live TV" channel guide is used).

Are you a bot, or some other form of that "wall" I had previously alluded to above? Sure seems like it. 

fs54
Reel Rookie

The Roku team can find this problem on any device that has a roku operating system installed.

I have a Roku stick on a Vizio that is performing just the same.

I honestly thought this would have been remedied by now.

Too much work to watch tv!