Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
g12erald

I think I bought the wrong remote

so I have a really old tv. It's only got 2 hdmi ports and it's not a smart tv

I bought a roku device today to get it working with netflix and other apps.

setup was easy etc..

But I didn't see a button to turn on the tv or control the volume. I bought the standalone roku for $25. Not the voice remote.

Am I correct w/ the remote I have i can't sync my tv to it to turn it on/off? I have to buy the other remote to do that? or does the tv have to have roku installed in it for the power/volume options to work?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: I think I bought the wrong remote

@g12erald 

The different Roku devices come with different remotes.  Sounds like you bought the Express HD model that comes with a Simple remote (no TV controls).

You could buy a Voice Remote (comes with TV controls) to replace the Simple remote.  https://www.roku.com/products/accessories

However, since the remote costs $20, I would just return the Express HD and purchase the Roku Express 4k+.  The Roku Express 4k+ (model 3941) is currently on sale for $30 and will come with a Voice Remote.

https://www.roku.com/products/players

----

You can purchase these different devices in stores like Best Buy, Walmart, Target, etc and the prices should be the same as those you find on the Roku website.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.