Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I’m so very tired of my TVs constantly going black and you can only hear sound only.

I am very disappointed. I have 3 Roku TVs and they are all having the black screen. Mostly when using the YouTube. After about 3-5 minutes of use, the screen will go completely black. You can still hear the sound.  It started with my upstairs TV. Now it’s happening on both downstairs TV. It’s so very annoying. It’s been happening so much lately that my family and I just use our cell phones. It mainly happen when we goto YouTube. Once YouTube start, you can wcount down to how quickly the TV will go black. When using other apps, it happens also but it takes about 30-45 minutes. We’ve tried to reboot the tv. When that didn’t work, we unplugged the TV and 30-45 minutes. When we plug it back in, the TV will cycle through a full set up. It will do good for about 30 minutes and then the black screen. We have removed apps, and then power cycle the tv. Once the tv is back on, we reinstall the removed apps. That did absolutely nothing. Last we tried to reset everything. That is a pain because I can never remember my wifi password. All of my surround sound speakers have to be reset. And then reinstalled. The tv color settings also have to be manually reset. This is one reason that we hate having to reset the tv back to factory. Once that is done the tv will work fine for a day, and then back to the black screen. This is happening to all 3 of my TVs in the home. My wife laughs and says that’s what I get for buying these cheep TVs. At this point, I think she may be right. You get what you pay for. I really wish you all would get to the bottom of this issue. It’s going to make the Roku brand sink because at this point I will never buy another tv with built in Roku. Soon I will just unplug it, go up to the attic of my home and then slowly push the tv out of a window. It’s not serving my family and I no good. In fact it’s causing a lot of arguments amongst my teenagers. 

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: I’m so very tired of my TVs constantly going black and you can only hear sound only.

@ThunderousOne, I do believe these cheap TVs have a backlight issue, but three of them doing the same thing sounds like bad luck or something else is going on that may or may not be software related.  Recently, I set up a "Westinghouse" TV (poor George is probably turning over in his grave knowing his name is attached to such a cheap TV) for my niece and I noticed that it defaults to the brightest possible setting.  I turned it down to "Normal".  I wonder if they all come that way and is part of the reason we see so many failures here.  Since you have 3 TVs, it might be interesting to know if setting the brightness to different levels affects the amount of time it takes for the screen to go black.

If it is a backlight issue, you should be able to see the picture if you shine a bright light on the TV.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.