Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
12thman1979
Streaming Star

Re: Black screen tcl roku tv

Jump to solution

Give us more info please. Part number? Supplier?

Andy89888
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It’s the tcon board that controls the lcd.  If you have sound and faded black screen - it’s most likely this control boarded.  Take the back cover off (12-15) screws and you will find the part number on the board.  Buy it on Ebay or parts store for less than $15. It took few days for the board to come but for $15 dollars, it was worth it.

12thman1979
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

That is awesome. I will try this and update the thread along the way. 

Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem just on the right side. I can still see picture but alot darker and slower on the right

Jump to solution

I've already reset and tried unplugging everything. Contacted tcl and still no luck. I feel it's something simple bc it works just not the way it used to 

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Murrayjared81 , Roku's untested updates have caused people problems. I'm not sure the black screen is one of them (it's hard to say because Roku has no formal bug tracking. Some people may be affected by an untested update. Others could be hardware failure.). 

The way you said yours is just half the screen makes me think hardware. People have said replacing the tcon board (if the tv's out of warranty) fixed there problem. There are videos online showing how do that. Other videos show how to go deeper and check the backlight (led strips or fluorescent tubes.). If you're not handy with things like this, maybe you know someone who likes to tinker. The videos are interesting. I almost wish mine could fail so I could dig into it. You might know someone like that, if you're not.

Google "how to fix tcl black screen" or "tcl backlight fix." 

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Murrayjared81 , also, some videos say this works:

Hit HOME 5 times.
UP once.
REWIND twice.
FAST FORWARD twice. (Clears cache & tv reboots itself. Be patient. It takes 1-2 minutes for the tv to go black, and come back on)

There's some controversy about what that actually does (it's sometimes called "cache clearing." Others call it "restart." It takes longer than the home>settings>system>power menu restart. It's doing something else. And, people have said it fixed problems that the other unplug or restart methods didn't fix. (Like random reboots, or problems with streaming apps kicking out. Like I said, some videos said it fixed the black screen problem).

It wouldn't hurt to try it. Just be patient. It can feel like the tv has froze. (If you have all black screen, not partial black, then you wouldn't see the progress. You'd want to wait 2-3 minutes for the front light to flash and perhaps dim.).

There's also a pinhole factory reset on the back of the tv. I'd unplug the tv, press and hold the power button for a minute to discharge any capicative energy. Hold the pinhole button, then plug in the tv while holding the pinhole button. Continue holding until you see front light flicker or dim after 15-20 seconds(?). Someone said this fixed their famous Roku endless recovery mode when other things didn't. It sounds a little superstitious in the precise way of doing it. But, "when in Rome...."

After that reset, you'll be in the initial setup screen. Tell it you'll connect to internet later. Watch antenna tv, or something connected to HDMI. See if the screen is better that way. (It's possible the full, internet-enabled/updated system causes the problem. It would be useful to to see how it works without going that far.).

If half your screen is dark, my guess is you're going to have to replace something inside the tv. But, it wouldn't hurt to try those things. (If the no-network reset tv works, you could watch streaming through a $22 Firestick Lite connected to HDMI. That's what I'm doing. Also, antenna tv works without internet, but you don't get any guide info. I never used it anyway. I always look at an online guide).

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
SneakJesus
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

My tcl tv is about 26 months old and the problem just arose today. I called TCL support and have done the troubleshooting and currently have the tv unplugged to see if plugging it back in would work. I wouldn’t want to break the tv by trying to fix it myself, but if the replacement part I need is really only about $20 I might take that risk, especially since it looks like I’m S.O.L with the warranty.

SneakJesus
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Just got off the phone with TCL. They aren’t going to help. If you’re in this thread you probably already bought the TCL, but if you miraculously haven’t I have one suggestion for you: don’t.

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@SneakJesus , I was watching some "how to fix" videos yesterday. Something interesting that you can hold a flashlight to the screen to see if the screen is actually displaying something (but no backlight to show it to you). Or, the screen isn't displaying something (presumably the backlight is ok).

That might be worth people doing to see if there's a preponderance once way or the other. I mean, if you don't see the screen displaying anything (using the flashlight), that might be a tcon board. Not the backlight which requires more disassembly. If you had any inclination to try to DIY fix it (the videos), determining which condition you have might be interesting.

0 Kudos