Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Simplyjonjonjon
Reel Rookie

Re: Black screen

Jump to solution

I hope this helps anyone whos tv has gone dark. Confirm that the tv is turned on. Try this button sequence atleast to see if you can lower your tv brightness manually and your t.v. might Come back on. 

Home home home

Up

Ok

Down down down down

Ok ok

Up

Ok.

This should drop the tv brightness to "darker" and brought my tv back to life. Can anyone confirm for me if it helps you.

milla471

Re: Black screen tcl roku tv

Jump to solution

I bought the TCL 3 years ago and it turned black and no sound but I tried all the stuff to reboot and you can see it wants to but nope.  I I started reading up on this tv never again so much problems with it.  I have an older tv and bought the roku kit and it was so much better .   I just don't know what to do  $500 down the drain  and TCL is saying its ROKU 

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I wonder if this isn't "planned obsolescence." Maybe that's part of the gig with the tv manufacturers. After some amount of use (and newer models released), the older tvs aren't a priority. When an update breaks something important to you, you buy a new tv. It's a win/win for TCL & Roku. (TCL has you buying a new TV sooner, blaming it on Roku). Roku doesn't have to test their updates for older tvs. They have TCL's blessing. (Good cop, bad cop.).

You have to admit, that's easier to believe than a company really operating this carelessly (shamelessly, without accountability from the tv makers). It wouldn't surprise me if this is a gambit for "you rent your tv. We're feature changing so quickly that you'll *want* to upgrade. We're just facilitating that for you. We would actually do a *disservice* to you if we kept your tv working flawlessly for 10 years."

That is seriously more believable than a company conducting itself the way we see it as consumers (expecting our tvs to last 10 years), and perplexed at Roku's seeming tone deafness (like they think they're doing a good job in the face of perplexed customers) . There's gotta be something behind it.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.

Jump to solution

This just happened to my son's 32" TCL in his room, and we've tried everything, and I've just spent over an hour with TCL on chat for them to tell me that our 1 year old TV can't be covered under warranty. What a joke! I know they're cheap, but it's not an excuse for a TV just going black a year into the process with moderate use! He's so disappointed and I will do everything I can to never purchase a TCL again!

ErikS
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm so sorry this happened believe me I know the frustration!!

12thman1979
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@smeriweather

The only way anything will be done about TCL being allowed to intentionally sell garbage televisions is if we complain

werm7567

Jump to solution

After you changed the T-conn and power supply boards...did that fix it?

0 Kudos
Kaivika
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I did as suggested but it's still the same way no good change but bad changes cause it keeps getting blacker we use it to stream music apps that is all it is good for!

0 Kudos
Kaivika
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

1st of all what is a t-conn and power supply board! What?

0 Kudos
Kaivika
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

No it did not work

0 Kudos